[Reader-list] History and archival freedom of the subject etc.

sadan at sarai.net sadan at sarai.net
Wed Jan 9 11:11:43 IST 2008

Dear Arnab and Ritwik,
subjectivity is crucial. And this is why in my very first mail ( joining
the discussion) I argued  to include Agamben. In my followup mails too, I
am trying to move away from Foucault (without loosing him). We certainly
need to elaborate on this but I strongly feel that the question of
subjectivity is too broad to provide any purchase. We have to address
specific aspects of it.
Arnab, I will be the last person to free archive from history. what I
argued in my last mail is to explore the tension( I talked about political
project of liberating archives from disciplinary history and the need to go
back to the association between history and archive simultaneously). I am
also not clear why issue of governmentality here. Prem, I do not think you
digress from the original question (if there was an original
question).Arnab would agree that we all are searching our questions and in
this search there is no defined path, atleast not to me.
Prem I also wanted to know something more grounded than Foucault. If I am
wrong you are architect and have been in thsi profession for  quite a long
time. If you remember, earlier I talked about how archives means different
to people and profession outside disciplinary history. I would request you
to reflect upon how archives is perceived within the profession of
architecture. I wish to understand how the idea of archive is practiced in
different professions and by professionals rather than how it is studied in
the disciplinary moulds only.(Arnab, kindly do not forget this last word,
only). In tihs sense, my current interest in archives is less a project of
intelelctual history and more about practices. This is certainly not to say
that two are not connected.The way a doctor maintains case-history of his
patients, a lawyer maintains records etc. Is there any fundamental
difference in their ordering, classification of records? But, difference
with what? Am I assuming the practice of archiving in disciplinary history
as monolithic?
wishes,
sadan.