[Reader-list] Why Positivist history lasts a long time

sadan at sarai.net sadan at sarai.net
Thu Jan 10 11:27:54 IST 2008

Dear Arnab,
I liked your naughty intellectual cajoling. I also admire your occasional
reference to me as if side-glancing and knowing that the person will
respond back. Its like that old song ( from childhood) shikaari ayega, dana
dalega, par hum chiriya nahi phansenge.
Let me assure you Arnab, that I am not getting impatient niether I am
defending. Now this is the first mistake when you say you are not defending
the message that goes out is you actually are defensive. Now the second
mistake, I was trying to clarify my position. The third mistake, what I
wrote was not as simplified as you cited.
Having made all these mistakes, let me go back to archives.
My core concern is to see archives not as something that orders/ defines
the production of the knowledge of an object but it is a relationship with
the object itself. This means all objects are potentially archives. Now, we
both know that this position is hard to defend and at times needless to
elaborate. On the one hand, there is nothing fresh that I am saying here.
On the other hand,there is certain amount of absurdity that is there in
this statement (i.e.the binary between the object and knowledge, knowledge
and relationship, relationship and the object etc). What I am struggling
is how to recoin this relationship and relocate it at levels that can
address issues of experience. You may grant me some analytical space
between the production of an archives and experiences of an archive. I also
understand that we may not be able too far with the binary between
production and experience but I wish to hold this to gain some analytical
space that will then allow me to enter at cultural terrain. To simplify
here how cultures respond to archives and memory. And I want to articulate
how different cultures respond to archives, memory, archival memory and
memory in the archives differently. Does this mean anything in the
universal project of archives (Foucault's project is universal and though
post-colonial locations have mobilised his writings to gain insights, I
think we need to blow the subject from within too).
Arnab, if you find it impatient let me twist your word i m passionate. This
blurs criticality, as they say. This opens up new avanues,
wishes,
sadan.