[Reader-list] Non-archival history? Here it is.

Logos Theatre logos.theword at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 23:08:27 IST 2008

Ah, what fools these mortals be!

Message: 4
> Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 09:42:02 +0000 (GMT)
> From: ARNAB CHATTERJEE <apnawritings at yahoo.co.in>
> Subject: [Reader-list] Non-archival history? Here it is.
> To: reader-list at sarai.net, mahmood.farooqui at gmail.com,
>         sadan at sarai.net,        prem.cnt at gmail.com, 0supplement at gmail.com
> Cc: shuddha at sarai.net, jeebesh at sarai.net
>
> [This post and the subsequent series -- is dedicated
> to Partha Chatterjee, Gautam Bhadra and Tapati
> Guhathakurta who taught this odd and unworthy student
> of theirs  -historiography in 1997-98 and to Mahmood
> Faruqui, Sadan Jha, Prem Chandavarkar and Ritwik
> Bhattacharya who have pursued –even while
> disagreeing-- an energetic discussion on the subject
> on this List and outside.)
>
> As all of you know --but because this mail is also
> being sent to many others ( not at one go to manage
> the number of CC or there will be mail errors) who may
> not have been aware of what was going on here at the
> SARAI-CSDS Reader's List, let me preface the present
> offering by saying a few introductory words.
>           For quite some years –in my engagement with
> the Neo-Hegelians of the 19th century I confronted and
> studied in some detail what is known as the Hegelian
> mode of 'philosophical history.' The relevance was
> further accentuated by the ravaging postcolonial
> critiques of Hegel staged by Ranajit Guha to Gayatri
> Spivak—which were –though mistaken on many counts ( I
> shall show that in the second part of this post) were
> enough to show how much of this Hegelian heritage
> lives. But while contemporaneously, philosophical
> history has been perverted to stand for intellectual
> history or the history of ideas ( though some like
> Alisdair MacIntyre still practice 'philosophical
> history') and is thus  an accepted fact in its
> anonymity, the mainstream of disciplinary practice,
> pedagogy and research of history,  knee deep in the
> positivistic, scientific sand of sources which have
> been museumised in the archives ( despite all
> critiques), has been reluctant enough to negotiate
> with the fact ( which is why the Subalterns were
> reproached of not going to the archives), that there
> was and there are still types of
> history/historiography which are not dependent on the
> archives. Simply put, there are non-archival concept
> based histories. And may I reiterate that this kind of
> history is dangerous to say the least ( in the portion
> quoted below don't take Hegel's use of the word
> tyranny too lightly).  It is this kind of history
> where the worldly reality ( if there is one) is forced
> to conform to the concept; it fashions the future
> accordingly. Marx's eternal threat that the world has
> to gain a certain form of consciousness whether it is
> willing or not is a demonstration of the above
> approach. I show—elsewhere in the main text—Marx is
> the best example of a philosophical historian and whom
> (if not Hegel) the newspapers ( as today's archival
> elements) are compelled to remember—whether they are
> [...]

Logos Theatre
          In the beginning was the word
No. 126,
3rd Main Road,
Jayamahal Extension,
Bangalore 560046
If it be now, 'tis not to come;
if it be not to come, it will be now;
if it be not now, yet it will come: the readiness is all.
Since no man has aught of what he leaves, what is 't to leave betimes?
Let be.