[Reader-list] Road usage data - delhi

Jeebesh Bagchi jeebesh at sarai.net
Tue Jan 15 12:25:30 IST 2008

dear all,

here is an interesting data-set of road usage in delhi from CSE.

best

jeebesh

A reality check:

There are 1.5 million private cars on the road.

3 million two-wheelers, a lot of these will convert to cheapest small
cars

And only 6,800 city buses.

The city adds 41 vehicles every hour, 31% of them being private cars.

Last 5 years have seen a 43% increase in vehicles, and 9% in road space.

Road is already 20% of land area. Green area is only 10%

There is a limit in extending roads and flyovers.

Our collective automobile experience ends with traffic jam.

And slower vehicles spew more.

We should be ashamed that all we gained out of converting public
transport to CNG has been offset by rising number of cars!

A car pays Rs 400 a year as tax, while a bus is charged Rs 13,000

Government subsidises private vehicles with low tax, cheapest parking
lots.

Public investment in roads and flyovers are cornered by private cars
only.

Private cars take up 75% of the road space, while buses get only 8%

Hence, there is no money left for public transport investment.

All these, while private transport only 20% of passengers, and buses
still carry 61%

We are stuck in a jam.

CSE