[Reader-list] Fwd: Off the Mantle#3

atreyee majumder atreyee.m at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 16:15:06 IST 2008

From: First City Theatre Foundation <theatre at firstcitydelhi.com>
Date: Jan 17, 2008 4:05 PM
Subject: Off the Mantle#3
To: natararangpratishthan at yahoo.co.in, abhikabhik at gmail.com,

* *

*&*

* *

*Joe Penhall's **BLUE/ORANGE*

* *

*Date: 23 January 2008*

*Time: 7 PM*

*Venue: The Attic, 36 Regal Building (near The Shop) Connaught Place*

* *

*Contact*

* Neel Chaudhuri*

*Kuhu Tanvir*

*011-46070317*

*theatre at firstcitydelhi.com*
*
*

*OFF THE MANTLE #3*

*The First City Theatre Readings*

* *

*Extracts from*

*David Hare's THE BLUE ROOM*

*& Joe Penhall's BLUE/ORANGE*

* *

The First City Theatre Foundation presents the third in its now regular
series of dramatic readings at The Attic. After Shakespeare and Mark Twain,
we turn to two contemporary writers – David Hare and Joe Penhall – with
extracts from two engaging, bold and coincidentally coloured plays.

*"give me a kiss"*

*The Blue Room* is based on *Reigen*, a series of vignettes written by Dr.
Arthur Schnitzler in 1896. *Reigen*, German for ''round dance,'' was set in
Schnitzler's own *fin de siecle*, Vienna and depicted a number of characters
in a continuous chain of sexual liaisons. When the work was actually
performed in Vienna in 1921, it was closed by police for its scandalous
content. Actors in a Berlin production the same year were taken to court on
obscenity charges. In Hare's retelling (written for the stage and film
director Sam Mendes), the story remains the same – ten characters fall in
and out of bed with each other, never quite finding fulfillment but the
setting has changed. No longer Vienna, the backdrop for *The Blue Room* is
described ambiguously as ''one of the great cities of the world, in the
present day.'' And Hare's version has only two actors performing all the
parts. However, the play retains Schnitzler's essential subject, which is
the gulf between what we imagine, what we remember, and what we actually
experience. *The Blue Room *premiered in London in September 1998.

*"give me a cigarette, doc"*

*Blue/Orange*, Joe Penhall's first play for the Royal National Theatre is an
incendiary tale about race, madness and a Darwinian power struggle at the
heart of a dying National Health Service (NHS) in England. In a London
psychiatric hospital, an enigmatic patient claims to be the son of an exiled
African dictator. As the drama unfolds, his story becomes unnervingly
possible … Charles Spencer of the *Daily Telegraph* writes, "Penhall belongs
to the new wave of dramatists that has flooded British theatre with exciting
work in recent years … He tackles tricky, interesting themes with a spare,
laconic style that puts you in mind of a young Pinter … an impression of
depth, undercurrents of unease beneath the surface of the dialogue." *
Blue/Orange* premiered in London in April 2000.

In the intermission between the two readings, the Foundation presents a
short preview of its play *Mouse*, one half of a double-bill production that
will go up at the Alliance Française on 5,6 and 7 February 2008.

* *