[Reader-list] Return to Kashmir, J&K minister urges migrants

Pawan Durani pawan.durani at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 12:42:45 IST 2008

http://newsblaze.com/story/20080119070258kash.nb/newsblaze/KASHMIR1/Kashmir.html
Security of Kashmir CM, pro-Indian Leaders Beefed Up

By Fayaz Wani

Srinagar, Jan 19: Amidst intelligence inputs that pro-Pakistan based
militant group, Lashkar-e-Toiba is planning to target the chief minister of
Kashmir and other pro-Indian leaders in the region, the security grid has
been beefed up. In addition, sweeping changes were made in the existing
security arrangements of the chief minister and pro-Indian leaders.

Police commandos, who are providing security to the chief minister, Ghulam
Nabi Azad and one of the pro-Indian leaders and Indian parliamentarian, Omar
Abdullah have been directed by the security agencies to undergo more
rigorous training to combat the militant attack. "They have been directed to
get trained under India's elite National Security Guard (NSG), which
provides security cover to India's top most politicians", sources said.

Also, the police commandos guarding the Kashmir chief minister have been
replaced with a new team, who have undergone more specialized training.
"This is being done to minimize the militant chances of infiltrating into
the inner circle of chief minister's security", police sources said.

Sources said that the police commandos providing security to the chief
minister and pro-Indian leaders in Kashmir are under the scanner of security
agencies. "There activities are being closely monitored by the agencies and
tight vigil is maintained on them", sources said, adding, "This is being
done to prevent militants from wooing the police commandos to help them
infiltrate into the inner security circle".

The security measures have been intensified after the intelligence agencies
received inputs that the Lashkar militants were planning to target Kashmir
chief minister and main pro-Indian leader in region, Omar Abdullah.

*Fayaz Wani reports on life in Srinagar, Kashmir.*