[Reader-list] are these nationalists

S.Fatima sadiafwahidi at yahoo.co.in
Fri Jan 18 19:37:10 IST 2008

Friends
Look at these two news items for what's being
discussed on this list right now:

12 convicted in Bilkis Bano rape case
18 Jan 2008, 1710 hrs IST,PTI
MUMBAI: Twelve persons, including a police official,
were convicted by a special court here on Friday in
the Bilkis Bano gang-rape case related to the
post-Godhra communal violence in Gujarat.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/12_convicted_in_Bilkis_Bano_rape_case/articleshow/2711484.cms

'Modi gave us a free run to do whatever we wanted'
26 Oct 2007, 0101 hrs IST,TNN

NEW DELHI: "We made a complete rocket launcher here...
We distributed so many weapons, people were shocked.
We'd make them here and then test them."

Here are some more such shocking 'testimonies':

Suresh Richard, an accused in the Naroda Patiya
episode in which over 200 Muslims were officially
estimated to have been killed, said on camera that
Modi visited the locality the same evening, February
28, and thanked the perpetrators of the violence
saying, "Aap dhanya ho... (You are blessed)."

Rajendra Vyas, a senior VHP functionary who was on the
Sabarmati Express that was set on fire in Godhra,
said, "The Muslims had played a one-day match with
us... They have given us a target of 60... We have to
win this match at any cost, so don't stop till you
have made 600 runs... Modi gave us a free run to do
whatever we wanted... The police were with us..."

Babu Bajrangi, a Bajrang Dal activist who has been in
the news for blocking the carnage movie Parzania from
being screened in the state, revealed that police
commissioner P C Pande, who has recently been moved
out of the DGP's post by the Election Commission, had
ordered that the 700-800 dead bodies at Naroda Patiya
be clandestinely picked up and dumped all over
Ahmedabad.

"The commissioner came that night and said that if
there were so many dead at one place, it would create
trouble for him... After killing them, I felt like
Maharana Pratap... We killed at will, turned the place
into Haldighati."

Key witness in the Godhra case, Ranjitsingh Patel, a
petrol pump employee who deposed that he had sold 140
litres of petrol to the accused on the eve of the
Sabarmati episode, admits that he and his colleague
were both paid Rs 50,000 each by Noel Parmar, the
chief investigating officer.

"Noel saheb gave me fifty thousand, showed me a
photograph and said I had to identify him." Two BJP
members, Murli Mulchandani and Kakul Pathak, who
claimed to be eyewitnesses to the Godhra attack and
identified many of the accused, admit they were not
even at the station that fateful day.

Mulchandani said: "I wasn't at the station, I was
sleeping at home. But the police put me among the
witnesses." Pathak said, "The police gave all the
names. None of the eyewitnesses wrote their
statements. The police did."

Arvind Pandya, the government's counsel in the ongoing
proceedings before the Nanavati-Shah Commission
probing the carnage, said that the accused had nothing
to fear from either of the retired judges. "Nanavati
is a clever man... He wants money... Of the two
judges, Shah is intelligent... woh anpe wala hai (he
is our man)... he is sympathetic to us... Nanavati is
after money."

Bharat Bhatt, a public prosecutor, said that he was
shielding the Hindu accused even as he was supposed to
be arguing against them.

"I tell all the Hindus not to smile when they see
me... not to say a word to me. I tell them that I will
scold them if they do so... Sometimes I deceive
them... I scare them but later show my affections
too..."

In the Gulbarg Society massacre, accused Madan Chawal
gives a first-hand account of how former Congress MP
Ehsan Jafri was hacked limb by limb and burned. He
says Jafri offered them money in return for his life.
"We said yes. When he came out, we took the money and
pounced on him."

      Download prohibited? No problem. CHAT from any browser, without download. Go to http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php/