[Reader-list] Amaranth Yatra

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Tue Jul 1 06:18:00 IST 2008

Dear Rahul,

Why is it naiive to believe that tens of thousands of protestors
would take to the streets for environmental reasons? Are you trying
to say that tens of thousands of protestors do not turn up on the
streets for environmental reasons? As far as I know, tens of
thousands of protestors routinely protested in the Narmada Valley for
environmental reasons, on several occasions, across several years.
Why should Kashmir be different?

Having said that, I would like to underscore that I am not for a
moment making a categorical statement, either way, about the
sincerity of the sudden display of 'ecological consciousness' by
elements within the Kashmiri separatist constiuency, or within any
other segment in the Kashmiri political spectrum today. I have no way
of gauging the sincerity of these entities when it comes to
environmental issues. No one has any means of gauging their
insincerity either. I am, in fact, not interested in sitting on
judgement on whether the protestors are 'sincere'  or not. I can see
why there should be protests. And if there are protests, I think they
ought not be dismissed on the basis of speculations about the
purported 'sincerity' of the protestors.

Furthermore, there is nothing that demonstrates to me that a
sentiment against a change in the demographic profile of a region is
identical to a sentiment against Hindu pilgrims. No one has said
anything either implcitly, or explicitly about pilgrims. I will come
to my take on the question of 'demographic shifts' later.

Pilgrims are transients. They do not settle and change the
demographic profile of a place. The protests are against the transfer
of land. The transfer of land can legitimately raise the suspicion
that permanent structures will be build on that land, (why else argue
for a change in the status of the owner of the land). It is clear
that the permanence of these structures does not have any relation to
the duration or necessities of the traditional 'Pilgrimage Season' in
Amarnath. It may be remembered, that even at the height of the
Kashmir insurgency, when some groups had sought to attack the
Amarnath pilgrims, the Hizbul Mujahideen, the largest and most
significant armed Kashmiri secessionist outfit, issued statements
against any attempts to attack Amarnath pilgrims.

The Action Committee Against Land Transfer, the organization co
ordinating the Anti land Transfer movement in Kashmir has
categorically stated that it has nothing against pilgrims or the
pilgrimage to Amarnath.

None of this amounts, in my book, to an adequate amount of
circumstantial evidence for 'sentiments' against pilgrims. Would it
not be better if we saw the reality of this anger against the pattern
of the forcible acquisition of land by state agencies in Kashmir.

Let me conclude by saying that I do not think that anything done on
38.99 acres of land can amount to a demographic shift. And those who
(in Kashmir) , even within the Action Committee Against Land Transfer
are talking about a 'demographic shift' with reference to the
Amarnath issue are pursuing a red herring. There is a real issue of
the forcible acquisition of land by agencies of the state and the
armed forces in Jammu and Kashmir, that is much wider in terms of its
ramifications than the single issue of Amarnath alone.

I for one, do not think that the presence of Bangladeshi immigrants
in say, Assam, needs to be attacked because it represents the threat
of a demographic shift to some people. There are good reasons why in
some parts of India (in J&K under article 370 and under the Fifths
Schedule of the Constitution in certain notified tribal areas in
different parts of the country) non aborigionals or non-state
subjects (in the case of J&K) are barred from acquiring landed
property. These have to do with the histories of disposession and
land alienation in these areas.  But that does not mean that such
people (non aboriginals and non state subjects) cannot live in these
areas. To state that would be to confuse lived practices of
habitation with  the ownership of property, and to confuse the
category of the citizen with the reality of the denizen.

best

Shuddha
Shuddhabrata Sengupta
The Sarai Programme at CSDS