[Reader-list] Amaranth Yatra

Rahul Asthana rahul_capri at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 1 10:12:33 IST 2008

Hi Shuddha,
>Would it
> not be better if we saw the reality of this anger against for
> the pattern
> of the forcible acquisition of land by state agencies in
> Kashmir.
The key word here is "better".I would rather see things as they seem to me,for better or for worse.I am not an idealist.I do not want to see the world in a particular way.I am ready to be shocked by what I see and change my beliefs.
The clear statement has been made that the anger is against what some quarters are seeing as the forcible attempt by the govt to make a demographic change.At least thats what I read in the reports.So thats the way I want to take it.The key  word here is "demographic change".So, I do not find it beyond my comprehension to assume that if the land acquisition was for,say, opening a stud farm or growing roses,there would not have been  tens of thousands of people protesting against it.The acquisition of land is the means.Creating demographic imbalance is the end.So,I would think that even a "friendly" way of creating demographic imbalance would generate the same protest,wouldn't it?
You may want to believe,or rather,you may find it better to believe that the protests are against forcible acquisition of land by govt,or for ecological reasons.Or,you may believe that these causes are far greater than the actual reason behind the current protests.Thats your choice.I have no arguments against that.
Then you make the case that the actual notion of affecting demographic shift is not convincing.I agree with you.In fact I would say its ridiculous that such a small area of land allocated for pilgrims can cause a demographic shift.
You could be right. Maybe the protesters are  worried about the forcible acquisition and environment,and for some strange reason,maybe just to confuse the hell out of us are carrying out their struggle against some imaginary demographic shift.
Thanks
Rahul