[Reader-list] [Reader-List] Amarnath Yatra

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Tue Jul 1 17:39:21 IST 2008

Dear Kshemendra,

Thank you for your considered comment, and the opportunity it gives
me for a clarification. if you are implying that the 'land grab' in
Kashmir began before the advent of Dogra Rule, then you are
absolutely right, and I am in agreement with you. All Kings and
monarchs (no matter of what faith or dynasty) are land-grabbers who
dignify themselves with royal titles. They claim an authority on
land, based on the pure fact of their monopoly over the means of
violence.

I have said this before, I have no brief, either to defend or to
oppose, the actions of any king, anywhere, least of all, in Kashmir,
on the basis of their faith. As far as I am concerned, all rulers and
monarchs, represent autocratic principles of rule, that I have no
reason to uphold or defend. This goes for Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist,
Sikh, Christian, Jewish or Agnostic or Pagan Kings. I am absolutely
certain that the Muslim kings of Kashmir, with some significant
exceptions unleashed oppression and violence on the people of
Kashmir. In this, they were no different, from the non-Muslim kings
who came before them, or after them. My prejudices, in this specific
instance, are against Kings and Kingship, not against the faiths that
the Kings claim to uphold. Hence, I hope you will now agree that by
saying this I have not in fact taken the debate into 'communal'
territory.

best

Shuddha