[Reader-list] [Reader-List] Amarnath Yatra

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 1 19:53:45 IST 2008

Dear Shuddha

An interesting debate. It would be sad if it went the direction of "if not you and not your father, then it was your grandfather who sullied the water I am drinking".

Having, I think, a fair idea of your 'philosophy' in such matters, I found the comment somewhat out-of-place. Your response makes clear your attitude.

Connected thought - the problem with most discussions on Kashmir (and such issues) is in opposing sides of an argument using different 'point of time in the past' as reference points to specify 'that is when the problem started' and then around that weave arguments about what happened 'thereafter'. When the 'absolute' reference point in time differs, it is highly unlikely that there will be common areas of agreement or even understanding.

In the case of Kashmir perhaps 1947 should be that 'absolute' reference point in time. What happened before 1947 can at best be 'backgrounders' for the 1947 crossover. If the 'backgrounders' become a part of the 'main body' of arguments, then any discussion will ultimately only be a slanging match. Not you? Then it was your forefathers.

That is why the reigns of Rajas and Maharajahs and Badshahs and Sultans and their 'doings' need to be avoided in a discussion on Kashmir. They 'owned' terriotory. They 'owned' the people. They bought and sold not only territory and protection for territory but also the people.  That is how the world was. That is how the world still is in many of it's parts. Protesting the 'now' is legitimate in my opinion. Protesting the 'past' is foolish in my opinion.

Thats it for now.

Kshmendra