[Reader-list] 'Tolerant Kashmiris': An editorial in Etalaat

Partha Dasgupta parthaekka at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 17:29:49 IST 2008

Dear Radhikarajen,

1.  From what I remember, one person from Doda died, so "citizens
death" is a bit of an overstatement. You, as a
     journalist or ex-journalist, should be careful how you use your
words, especially when disagreeing with another
     journalist.

2.  You talk of issues like 'journalist' and 'citizenship' in two
breathless paragaraphs, and that seems meaningless.
     Were I to be a journalist, would strive to spread the news of
what I believe to be the truth irrespective of what
     state / caste / religion I come from. Similarly, as a citizen,
strive to agree with what I believe is correct and disagree
     with what I believe is wrong even if the Government of the day
may have proclaimed it as correct.

3.  As for birth, was born out of India, so my 'citizenship' is not
linked to my place of birth. It is because I believe this is my
     country. Then again, an aunt of mine who happens to be a Russian
by birth speaks Bengali far more fluently than I do
     and remembers the verses of some puja's we do in the family by heart.
     Or do we look at the People of Indian Origin diaspora who live
abroad, and still insist on speaking Hindi. Shouldn't they be
     speaking only English in the US since they are claiming
citizenship and follow the religion of that country?
     Citizenship, or any other title for that matter should never take
over our belief in right or wrong. That's just as bad as voting
     for someone because of their caste.

4.  I do hope that you are glad that a qualification level has been
set for Journalism as in other professions. I'm sure that we both
     agree that it's a position of responsibility and that people who
undertake the profession should go through a qualification
     process. Then again, there are many small publications that lets
just about anyone write for them, so a degree / diploma in
     mass communication is not really necessary.

Rgds, Partha

Partha Dasgupta
+919811047132