[Reader-list] Bangladeshi is 3d South Asian Attacked in South African Riots

Naeem Mohaiemen naeem.mohaiemen at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 09:49:18 IST 2008

http://www.indolink.com/displayArticleS.php?id=052508094309

Durban, May 25 (PTI) A Bangladeshi citizen has become the latest
victim of the anti-foreigner violence in South Africa, as xenophobic
violence spreads in new areas. The Bangladeshi, whose name has not
been disclosed, was attacked and his shop was looted yesterday in the
town of George in the Western Cape province, the latest area to be
affected by the violence.

"I don't know why these people attacked my shop."They just came here
and without saying anything began to loot the shop. I have now lost
everything," said the Bangladeshi with tears running down his face.

He is the third south Asian national to be affected by the violence.
Shops of two Pakistani nationals were looted in the town of
Hammanskraal, north of Pretoria, and in the Free State province early
this week.

The attack against the Bangladeshi man came hours after an 18-year-old
local youth in Cape Town was shot dead by a Somali man who was
protecting his small shop.

On Thursday, a Somali man was killed by mobs attacking foreign
nationals in Cape Town.

The latest death brings the toll to more than 44, since the violence
first broke on May 11 in the township of Alexandria in Johannesburg.
More than 30,000 foreigners have now been made destitute, while more
than 50,000 Mozambicans have now returned to their country for fear of
the attacks.

Meanwhile, hundreds of people took part in protest marches in
Johannesburg and Durban against the xenophobic attacks. The protest
marches come at a time when South Africans in general, including
political, religious and civic leaders, condemning the attacks as a
"shame" on the country.

President Thabo Mbeki, who has come under severe criticism for failing
to take action after the first violent attacks, will address the
nation today evening.