[Reader-list] Dj Spooky, Dj Rekha present - Loving Day: a Festival of Multiculturalism, NY

Paul D. Miller anansi1 at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 8 01:27:52 IST 2008

Hello people - on Sunday (tomorrow!!!) we're presenting a festival to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Loving vs Virginia, the Supreme Court Case that de-criminalized relationships across racial lines.

In 1967, a mixed race couple brought a case to the Supreme Court to legalize their relationship, and won. Mildred Loving passed away a little while ago, and we're presenting a festival to celebrate their victory. There will be several thousand people, and I guess you can think of it as a NY update of Love Parade in Berlin. It's a big outdoor festival!!!

come out to the show!
Paul aka Dj Spooky

388 U.S. 1 (1967)[1], was a landmark civil rights case in which the United States Supreme Court declared Virginia's anti-miscegenation statute, the "Racial Integrity Act of 1924", unconstitutional, thereby overturning Pace v. Alabama (1883) and ending all race-based legal restrictions on marriage in the United States.

On June 8 we celebrate their victory - there will be music from all over the world: India, Russia, China, Brazil, South Africa, France, Sweden, Saudi Arabia, Cuba, Iraq, Tibet, Israel, Palestine, England, Jamaica, Nigeria etc etc - and yes, it's about digital media art as well. There will be surprise guests throughout the day.

http://www.lovingday.org/

Details:

Sunday June 8, 2008 3:00 - 7pm EDT

Loving Day proudly presents:

The 5th Annual New York Loving Day Celebration

Come celebrate the 41st anniversary of Loving v. Virginia, the Supreme Court case that legalized interracial relationships in the United States.

FREE MUSIC
Enjoy incredible music all day long!

DJ SPOOKY
(http://www.djspooky.com)

DJ REKHA
(http://www.djrekha.com)

DHUNDEE
(http://www.sugarcutsmusic.com)

FREE BBQ
Grilling for you all day long!

FREE BEER
Free Asahi the first hour!

FREE ICE CREAM
Free Ben & Jerry's for the 1st hour!

BIG PRIZES
Raffle all day: Puma and Zipcar!

RAIN OR SHINE
Our huge tent will keep you happy!

No Cover • Everyone is Welcome • All Ages (21+ to drink) • Multicultural • International • Good Sunday Vibes

SUBWAY: 6 train to 23rd, the M23 bus or walk east past Ave. C & FDR. Look for the Gulf gas station. Or, L train to 1st Ave: Walk N. to 23rd.

BY CAR: from the south, FDR to 20-23rd St. exit. Right on Ave. C, right on 23rd as if going to Gulf gas station, then service road to Solar 1.

RSVP your spot: lovingdayparty at gmail.com
For more info, visit us online: www.lovingday.org

Thanks to our sponsors:
Asahi, Ben & Jerry's, Zipcar, Steaz, Solar One, WorldUp, DJ Spooky, DJ Rekha, Puma

Also, thanks to our supporter in the multiethnic community:
Association of MultiEthnic Americans (AMEA)
Swirl NYC