[Reader-list] Announcing the Fellows for 2008

Tasveer Ghar tasveerghar at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 10:50:48 IST 2008

Dear friends

Tasveer Ghar, the house of images, is delighted to announce the
selection of candidates for its 2nd Popular Art Fellowship for the
year 2008.

The theme for this year's fellowships is "Kaleidoscopic Sites and
Sights: The Printed Visual Culture/s of Religious Pluralism", and we
received an overwhelming number of exciting ideas and proposals for
the same. This year we needed to select only four fellows, hence the
job of the 4-member selection committee was even more difficult.

We congratulate the following four candidates/teams that have been
selected as Tasveer Ghar Fellows for 2008, for their respective
topics:

1. Subah Dayal and Suzanne Schulz
Topic: Outside the Imambara: The Lives of Pilgrimage Souvenirs

2. Shirly Abraham and Amit Madhesiya
Topic: Religious Iconography in the Public Sphere - Painted and Tile
Gods Adorning the Streets.

3. Daljit Ami
Topic: Exploring Ravidas, Understanding a Meeting Point of Faiths and Resistance

4. Joe Christopher/Alice Sampson
Topic: Challenging Dominance: The Visual Repertoire of the Bonallu
Festival and Subaltern shrines in Hyderabad

More details about these fellows and their proposed work would soon be
available on our website. They would work towards creation of art
collections to be culminated in virtual galleries and an essay at the
end of their 6 months fellowship period. Their galleries are likely to
be inaugurated in January 2009.

Invitation:
Besides the above fellowships, Tasveer Ghar is always open to
contributions of exciting images representing the unique examples of
popular visual culture of India/South Asia, from artists, art
collectors, photographers, students and everyone else. You can send us
photo prints, old photographs, old printed material, photo negatives,
transparencies, digital photographs, high-resolution scans, posters,
calendar, old advertisements, printed packing material, wall graffiti,
hoardings, road-side banners, or any other medium, preferably
mass-produced or truly archival and rare, but representing certain
popular trends of our society. Kindly see more details in our Call for
Proposals. Your contributions, if accepted by us, would be compensated
with a basic honorarium. We can also sign a contract with you about
the use of such images. Kindly send us samples of such artwork, so
that we can immediately respond.

Past Galleries on our website:
Kindly visit the exciting image essays and galleries that have been
posted on Tasveer Ghar so far.

Good Morning – Welcome – Svagatam: Kitschy Indian 'Welcome' Posters
By
Patricia Uberoi
http://tasveerghar.net/welcome/

Celebrating More Than the New Year: The Hindu Nationalist Greeting
Cards
By Christiane Brosius
http://tasveerghar.net/hgreet/

When a Language Becomes a Mother/Goddess - An Image Essay on Tamil
by
Sumathi Ramaswamy
http://tasveerghar.net/stamil/

This is What They Look Like: Stereotypes of Muslim Piety in Calendar
Art and Hindi Cinema. By Yousuf Saeed
http://tasveerghar.net/mstereo/

Remediation: Iconic Images and Everyday Spaces - 'Female Film Stars'
in Print Media: by Madhuja Mukherji
http://tasveerghar.net/2007/madhuja/

Miss Use: A Survey of Raunchy Bhojpuri Music Album Covers: By Vishal Rawlley
http://tasveerghar.net/2007/vishal/

Catering to Indian and British Tastes: Gender in Early Indian Print
Advertisements: By Javed Masood
http://tasveerghar.net/2007/javed/

Miniature Societies & Grihani Aesthetics: Traditional Dolls from South
India: By Annapurna Garimella
http://tasveerghar.net/2007/annapurna/

Objects of Desire: Commodification of Gender in the Titles of Popular
Hindi Novels: By Atmaram K. Bhakal
http://tasveerghar.net/2007/atmaram/

We welcome you to visit our website and spread the word to more
people. We would also welcome your comments, queries, and criticism
about the work Tasveer Ghar is doing.

Yours sincerely,

Christiane Brosius
Manishita Dass