[Reader-list] Ghalib and the damn Muslim problem

Anand Vivek Taneja radiofreealtair at gmail.com
Wed May 7 21:02:01 IST 2008

Ghalib-e khasta ke baghair kaunse kaam band haiN?
Roiye zaar zaar kya, kijiye hai hai kyoN?

Sorry I could not resist succumbing to the temptation of an endless chain of
Ghalib quotations. While this one seemed apt in the tongue-firmly-in-cheek
way most of Ghalib is apt; I think the central problematic raised by Mahmood
remains unanswered  - which is to ask what it means that while one may not
be a believer (in any religious or ritual sense); one is still identified
(and identifies oneself) as a Muslim (or a Hindu) in a sense of
political/community identity. The gap (or lack of)  between one's
confessional and empathic senses of selfhood and community; and the changing
nature of this gap raises interesting questions, particularly in these
fraught times when race, religion and identity are being fixed/contested
through the biometric logics of surveillance states.

Would the anecdotal story told of Ghalib (in the TV serial, to a British
officer deciding on his exile from the city post 1857) that he was only
'half a Muslim'  (because he drank wine but didn't eat pork) be possible
today?

Anand