[Reader-list] Kashmiri Pandits demand ‘internally displaced persons’ status

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 3 19:15:00 IST 2008

Dear Aman

I hope your 'suggestion' was just a 'needle'. One more added to the many that populate this List.

Such one-liner 'needles' meant to only provoke and not contribute anything useful carry their own consequences of responses they get. Once that happens, there is a lot of whining all around.

Certainly your 'suggestion' could not have been a serious one. If it was intended to be so, it was 'moronic' indeed. Seriously moronic.

KPs believe that the erstwhile Princely State of J&K duly became a part of India through the Instrument of Accession. You may or may not agree with that position but that is what KPs believe.

With 'that position' of the KPs it would be quite moronic for anyone to suggest that they should simultaneously demand implementation of the UN Resolution on 'Kashmir' which contradicts the position held by KPs.

You might see the implementation of the UN Resolution on 'Kashmir' as un unfinished agenda. You might (if you do) see it as 'A Cause'  or even see it as 'The Cause' in Kashmir. That does not mean that no other 'cause' linked with 'Kashmir' can be spoken about unless simultaneously what you see as "A Cause" or "The Cause" in 'Kashmir' is not spoken about.

Instead of the 'moronic' suggestion, you could have if you wanted to and felt strongly about, questioned the validity of KPs seeking recognition as IDPs. Or, if you think that KPs are IDPs, perhaps even suggested what would be proper manner and fora in which to seek recognition as IDPs.

Since you mentioned it, I hope you know that the UN Resolution on 'Kashmir' is generally evaluated as giving only 2 options; 'Join India' or 'Join Pakistan'. There is no 'Third Option'. (Generally so evaluated).

You might want to ponder over what has changed since 1947 that led Kofi Annan to doubt whether the UN Resolution on 'Kashmir' can be implemented. It has been reported that the Resolutions do not fall under Chapter 7 of the UN Charter and so the UN has no 'enforcement' mandate.

You might also like to think over what it was that led Musharraff to float his 'thinking out of the box' proposals while in fact disregarding but not acknowledging the discarding of the UN Resolution on 'Kashmir'.

Think. Unless, you want to come up with yet another "moronic' suggestion, in which case you do not need to do much thinking.

Kshmendra