[Reader-list] I can't write a memoir of Czeslaw Milosz

Vivek Narayanan vivek at sarai.net
Tue Nov 4 12:19:36 IST 2008

Thank you for responding, Dhatri.  I am curious to know if you had any
further comment / explication in relation to the particular quote from
the piece I highlighted:

"He had always attacked the pettiness of his compatriots; he defended
the visionary homeland of his dreams, pluralistic and tolerant, but at
the same time he castigated the vices of the existing society: he hated
anti-Semitism, narrow-mindedness, nationalism, stupidity. He had a
religious mind but he also believed in liberal, democratic principles
and tried to teach his contemporaries the implications of this complex
creed."

With regards,
Vivek