[Reader-list] An Artist in Exile Tests India’s Democratic Ideals

Shivam V lists at shivamvij.com
Mon Nov 10 15:55:09 IST 2008

Dear Ramaswamy,

It is not so much physical security but legal harassment that is
preventing MF Husain from returning to India. See, for instance:
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=061117123756.5p7mp5uz&show_article=1

After this Supreme Court ruling -
http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/StoryPage.aspx?id=21ab5780-8b8d-4583-953f-69d84721a569&&Headline=SC+stays+court+order+to+attach+MF+Hussain's+property
- Husain expressed hope that he would soon return.

See http://www.gulfnews.com/world/India/10231137.html

But the SC ruling, I presume, has affected only a handful of the 900
odd cases said to have been filed against him. Which is why, perhaps,
the NYT story doesn't say whether he's returning some time soon.

best
shivam
On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 3:33 PM, V Ramaswamy <rama.sangye at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Editor
> New York Times
>

> Dear Sir,
>
> A propos Somini Sengupta's article,  "An Artist in Exile Tests
> India's Democratic Ideals" (NYT, 8 November 2008), as a citizen of India and
> of Calcutta, I would like to welcome Mr Husain to return to India, and come
> to Calcutta - there's a direct flight here from Dubai - and permit me to
> offer him my hospitality and protection, for as long as he wants. Mr Husain
> is not a stranger to Calcutta, and he has a host of friends and well-wishers
> here, including the Azad Hind Dhaba on Promotesh Barua Sarani (Ballygunge
> Circular Road), a well-known eating joint, especially known to late night
> revelers, which also houses his wall-painting "Gaja Gamini". I believe I
> speak for many of my fellow citizens when I say that I have no doubt he
> would be able to live in comfort and utmost security in Calcutta, and thus
> establish that democratic ideals do survive, even if they don't always
> flourish, in beleaguered India and Calcutta.
> Sincerely,
>
> V Ramaswamy

mail at shivamvij dot com