[Reader-list] Critical Mass, Mumbai

jude d'souza jude.dsouza at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 08:55:37 IST 2008

Critical Mass Appeal

Tired of Mumbai's overcrowded transportation system and looking for a
medium to initiate change? Here's your chance

By Vikas Hotwani
MUMBAI MIRROR
Posted On Friday, November 21, 2008

A bunch of youngsters are asking cycling enthusiasts to come out in
large numbers on Friday November 28 to spread awareness about the
city's transportation problems - overcrowded trains, traffic snarls,
lack of footpaths. They come from disparate backgrounds but are bound
by the love of cycling and are convinced that this city is desperately
in need of alternative means of transportation.

"In Mumbai, cycling is restricted either to the dabbawalas or the
dudhwalas. That's it! Everyone else views cycling as a cheap, obsolete
mode of transport," fumes O J Nelson, a musician and cycling
enthusiast. "It doesn't need a rocket scientist to tell us that
something needs to be done about the city's infrastructure, which is
near breaking point. The least we can do is promote cycling and make
it 'cool'."

This group has decided to introduce a concept called 'Critical Mass'
to Mumbai. Observed on every last Friday of the month, the concept has
found takers in around 300 cities across the world, with the number of
supporters varying from 20 to 80,000.

In India, the concept was introduced in Delhi three months ago. It now
boasts of 100-plus participants at every event.

The challenge before the group is to convince busy Mumbaiites to adopt
this environment-friendly way of life and sustain the movement.

"We are spreading the word. Till date, such cycling events have been
restricted to enthusiasts on weekends, to cater to our personal
interest. But now we are going to turn it into a cause," says Anoop
Rajan, a student and a cycling enthusiast.

Participants will gather at Shivaji Park, Dadar on the last Friday of
this month at 5.30 pm and cycle up to Juhu, a distance of almost 10
kilometres.

"Since it's not a morcha, we don't need permission from traffic
authorities. Anyone can join in. When we organise weekend trips, we
expect an RSVP from those expected. That's not the case here. Even at
the last minute, if you feel you can make it, be there," says Anoop.

Anyone and everyone who agrees with the cause can join in.

But Critical Mass is a disorganised event with no leadership or
centralised planning and hence poses a big problem.

"Sustainability will be a challenge, but we need to begin some time,"
says Anoop.

For those who are interested but don't own a cycle, there's a way out.
"There are a few shops in the city that rent out cycles. We have put
up the list on our discussion forum. Or else, get in touch with us and
we will guide you. But please do not let 'I don't have a cycle' be an
excuse (to not turn up)," insists the group.

 WANT TO PARTICIPATE?

• Take your bicycle out on November 28 and be there at Shivaji Park at 5.30 pm

• Cycle up to Juhu, a distance of almost 10 kilometres

• The aim: draw attention to the need for alternative means of transportation

• For details, e-mail Anoop Rajan at anoop.dhc at gmail.com or visit
http://www.cyclists.in/group/criticalmass

 BICYCLE CULTURE

The first Critical Mass event was organised on September 25, 1992 in
San Francisco, USA.

Over the years, citizens of 300-odd cities across the world have
embraced the concept. It is known by different names, such as
bike-lifting, corking and mass-up, in various cities.

Some Critical Mass events across the world have participants not only
on cycles, but also on skateboards and wheelchairs.

India is still not convinced about promoting cycling as a means of
transport but Amsterdam (Netherlands), New York, San Francisco,
Chicago, Portland (in USA), London (UK) and Paris (France) boast of a
flourishing bicycle culture

Also see

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1208534