[Reader-list] URGENT >> An appeal to send contribution for Kandhamal Survivors

Saheli Women saheliwomen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 15:41:42 IST 2008

*Contribution for Kandhamal Survivors*

(An appeal on behalf of some friends in Orissa)

Dear friends,

You are aware of the carnage against the Christian community, mostly Dalits
and Adivasis, in the Kandhamal district of Orissa since 23rd August 2008
following the killing of the VHP leader Swami Lakshmananada Saraswati,
reportedly by Maoist groups. The Sangh Parivar and its outfits carried on
sustained assault on thousands of Christians forcing then to flee their
villages leaving behind everything they owned including their houses,
belongings, livestock, crops and harvests, means of livelihood, etc.  The
Orissa government was a mere spectator of this violent saga.

While over 50,000 people have been displaced, only 23,000 are reported to be
in relief camps. Hundreds of families are living in terror in surrounding
district towns in clandestine manner. Many are reportedly leaving Orissa
itself. The conditions in relief camps are miserable. The Orissa government
and local administration has taken no proactive measures to restore
confidence and encourage people to return to their villages. Many are yet to
file FIRs.

We strongly believe that we need to stand by the Christian community to also
affirm our secular beliefs for a just society where no minority is
persecuted in the name of caste or religion. It will take years to be able
to restore normalcy, if ever. Meanwhile, food and essentials are in big
demand on a daily basis. We hope to be able to reach out some relief to
families living outside relief camps.

Some friends in Orissa have identified 150 families to begin with and have
made arrangements to buy blankets and mosquito nets that the families have
asked for. If this effort picks up more support, they will carry on this for
the next 2-3 months at least. We urge all our friends and supporters to
reach out to the survivors of the Kandhamal violence by making a financial
contribution.

*Cheque/ demand draft to be made in favour of 'Saheli Women's Resource
Centre'. *At the back of the cheque, please write 'for Kandhamal survivors'
and send us your postal address as well, so we can send you a receipt.

Please circulate this appeal to all your contacts.

In solidarity,
All of us in Saheli.

Saheli Women's Resource Centre
Above Unit 105-108