[Reader-list] Fwd: [People'sResistance] peace

yasir ~يا سر yasir.media at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 14:56:18 IST 2008

From: abira ashfaq <abira_a at hotmail.com>

I think a statement emphasizing restraint and cooperation is important, but
I think its is more important to understand to change the paradigm, and
shift from an apologetic stance where we are distinguishing ourselves from
mobsters, to a one of critical analysis.

Most Pakistanis watched the Mumbai crisis unfold saying this is going to be
awful for us. Yes, selfish, but it was not devoid from compassion for the
Bombayites. No one I know had anything but fear, trepidation and sadness as
a response. A Pakistani reporter told an India one on Aaj TV when she
unequivocally placed the blame on Pk - that you DO realize Pakistani
civilians have been affected by terrorism as well - there are so many
civilian deaths because of terrorism here. But, I think the world is DONE
seeing Pakistanis as humans and as VICTIMS of terrorism - She responded YES
Pakistani society is resounding with terrorism. A classic comparison is the
blacks in america - so many more blacks die of gang and gun related violence
and yet, because they are, through a racist lens, seen as the perpretators,
their community's devastation gets no sympathy in the dominant discourse.
The thing is that we have nothing to do with terrorism - that is so Obvious
and Laughable.

The reality is that most Pakistanis are barely making it and on the verge of
despair. I sense hardly any animosity towards India - and I also feel there
is a waning sympathy for Kashmiris despite the Indian army's daily acts of
repression; this was evident by the lack of interest in the recent crackdown
against activists including Yasin Malik. Pakistanis do not even have a full
understanding of the EXTENT and deep rootedness of racism against Muslims in
India - and have a very vague solidarity with them - if any. They would be
largely ambivalent to any homegrown militancy in India - be it Muslim or
Maoist - albeit the former may have an identity based resonance for some.
Logically, many more progressive and liberal Indians were more outraged by
the massacres in Gujrat in 2002 because it was their issue, than were
Paksitanis.  Many more Indians were mobilized into legal action,
condemntation, and rehabilitation work including making sure Modi does not
get a visa to the US.  Many more Indians work against the hate ideology of
the Sangh Parivar.  Many Pakistanis are not even aware of the various sangh
outfits incl, RSS and VHP.

The international discourse has placed Pakistan in a very precarious
position.  We are under attack by American drones and subjected to an
internal war on ourselves.  Someone at our FATA debate yesterday mentioned
that this is the biggest internally displaced crisis in Pakistan's history.
We are no longer in an era of statements of hostility by Pakistan and India
on the same level. (Arguably we never were) India is very much an economic
and regional power and have gleefully joined in the terrorism rhetoric
directed against Pakistanis, as global powers and players struggle for
survival, control, and dominance of Central and South Asia.

So while I see a Pakistani's racism towards an Indian as equally problematic
as the Indian's - I think the two have very different connotations because
of a systemic imbalance of power between the two.

A statement of solidarity should challenge the paradigm, and HUMANIZE
Pakistanis, and urge Indians to beat the force of the xenophobic discourse,
question who benefits from this violence..certainly not ordinary Pakistanis
and Indians, give statistics of how our society has suffered immeasurably
from these same acts of violence.. As I say this I also see the irony.
Violence against Pakistani civilians has become so normalized that we don't
see or expect statements of peace form India progressives and liberals.  We
never, ever blame Hindu fundamentalists because we have accepted the
discourse against ourselves.

AND, the statement should have, of course, a strong condemnation of the
violence and grief for the victims of Bombay.  The human connection is and
remains...and is almost redundant, but fine to reassert.

Abira