[Reader-list] ‘Terrorists’ died of gunshot wounds

Aditya Raj Kaul kauladityaraj at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 20:01:24 IST 2008

'Terrorists' died of gunshot wounds
Rhythma Kaul

The Hindustan Times

New Delhi, September 30, 2008

"Atif Ameen and Mohammad Sajid, the alleged terrorists who were killed in
the encounter at Batla House on September 19, died specifically of fire-arm
injuries," said one of the forensic experts who did the autopsy at Jai
Prakash Narayan Apex Trauma Centre at All India Institute of Medical
Sciences (AIIMS).

"I can say with 100 per cent assurance that both the men weren't engaged in
any scuffle before their death. There were no scuffle marks, but only bullet
wounds on their bodies," he said.

Physiological evidence indicated Atif and Sajid were both in their early
20s, with Sajid being slightly younger.

Since there was no age-related query from the police, it has not been
revealed in the autopsy report. "Still, we have collected samples, and if
the police ask us in future to ascertain their age, we can do it," said the
doctor.

During the autopsy, bullets were found lodged inside the bodies of both Atif
and Sajid. Atif's body had a total of 21 injuries spread across the torso
and thighs.

Sajid's body had 13 injury marks, with most of the wounds located on his
head and chest.

One mark was on his right leg, which, the doctors say, could have been made
when a bullet grazed past his leg.

When asked how many bullets were lodged inside the bodies, the doctor said
that it was impossible to come up with a number.

"These days, the weapons have become very sophisticated. We get frangible
bullets that explode inside the target, with one bullet making multiple
wounds. We can tell you how many wounds were made by bullet injuries. How
many bullets were fired is for the ballistic experts to correlate and
determine," he said.

The three-member forensic team worked overtime to submit the report within
three days of the bodies being handed over to it on September 22.

The autopsy procedure unlike that for Inspector M.C. Sharma, who was also
killed in the encounter was not done in-camera. "That's because the police
didn't place any such request before us," said the doctor.

As for making the report public, the doctor said, "No one can have access to
the autopsy report within 90 days, not even the family."

Inspector Sharma's autopsy report was completed late on the night of
September 26 but has still not been handed over to his family.