[Reader-list] Real Face of Terrorist Yasin Malik

S. Jabbar sonia.jabbar at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 01:07:09 IST 2008

Dear Aditya,

Since you are in the habit of obfuscating and muddying the waters, a few
facts for those who are interested:

1. A jan sunvai is just that, a public hearing and an appeal, not a protest.

2. Yasin Malik did not lead 'my' protest.  He was one of many who chose to
lend support to an effort which originated with a desire from the parents of
the disappeared as a last ditch effort to get a hearing from a seemingly
uncaring Indian public.

3. The day long fast for peace and hope (and not a hunger strike as you
cynically call it ended at dusk where we all broke the fast with fruit
juice, fruit and biscuits).  If you were not so wholly focused on Yasin you
might have noticed that.  Anyway, whether Yasin fasted for the entire day or
chose to enjoy mutton or chicken, bhelpuri or a T-bone steak with Kasuri at
whatever point was no one's concern.  We were too busy with the testimonials
to be fascinated by Yasin's departure and dietary preferences.

4. Please clarify what you mean by 'this cowardly act of some "Delhi group"
of yours,'  I really don't understand your grammar, syntax or intention.

5. If you were beaten and arrested by no less than '300 jawans' you must
have broken the law in some horribly disgusting manner, or are you
flattering yourself by suggesting that it required 300 jawans to counter the
power of '15-25 youth.'

6. The Shiv Sena never claimed responsibility to the best of my knowledge.
Who are the 'media sources' who told you so?  Kindly post the news item
which carries a definitive claim by the Sena.

7. If, according to you,  Yasin Malik is a rapist who has 'killed hundreds
of Hindus' why is it that the Indian state has not charged him for a single
case of rape or murder of one, let alone hundreds of Hindus? As far as I
know the cases against him are 1. The Rubaiya Sayeed kidnapping case and 2)
The shooting of 6 IAF men.  I am not aware of any cases against him of the
killings of civilians.  Pease do enlighten me if I am wrong. As far as I
know the state is yet to frame the charge sheet against Yasin Malik and
others in these two cases.  If you are frustrated by the delays crucify the
legal system, why vent your ire on me?

8. Please also explain if Yasin Malik is such a dreaded terrorist why it is
that the JKLF, of which he is the chairman, is not a banned organization and
why is it that if the highest authorities of this country can see it fit to
meet him, talk to him, eat with him and engage in official dialogues with
him it offends you so much that a journalist and peace activist like me
should end up doing the same?

9.  Kindly enlighten me about the procedure in other civilized countries
when a group lays down weapons and surrenders, declares that they will stand
trial, undertakes that they will never again take up the gun and that their
struggle will now be a non-violent one?  Are they lynched by vigilante
groups like yours, or are they rehabilitated?  What do you think we should
do with such people in a democratic country like ours, Aditya?  FYI, Yasin
Malik has served jail sentences, never ever jumped bail or tried to escape
the law since he surrendered in 1994.

10. It amazes me that you and Roots are still so focused on Yasin Malik.
This is in the year 2008 and not the early '90s when the JKLF was all
powerful.  They were quickly eclipsed by the Hizb and hundreds of other
lethal tanzeems.  By the end of that decade groups like Lashkar and Jaish
came on the scene with their unprecedented striking power and suicide
squads.  Today, in 2008 even they are a minor force in the politics of J&K,
so what can one say about the JKLF, cash-strapped and cadre-less as it is,
but that it is Yasin's efforts and charisma that keeps it alive.

And yet I don't see you hurling abuse and invectives at any other leader:
not the Mirwaiz or the Lone brothers, not Shabir Shah or Naeem Khan, not
Azam Inquilabi or Amanullah Khan, chief of the JKLF, who launched young boys
like Yasin into Kashmir with guns in 1989, and not even Syed Ali Shah
Geelani who is considered no less than the Amir-e-jihad, the supreme leader
of the jihad.

Both the Mirwaiz and Geelani have repeatedly declared support for a violent
movement, whereas Yasin has since 1994 shunned the gun, so I really do find
it odd that you should focus on him rather than those who continue to
advocate violence against India and its people.

11. In case you haven't notice there is a peace process that has been
underway for the last 8 years.  A peace process means you make peace with
erstwhile enemies, not people who already agree with you.  This includes
talking to them, trying to understand their point of view and trying to
adjust and accommodate their aspirations while negotiating that they do the
same with you.  In the next few years you may see the Government of India
not just talking to Yasin Malik but also Syed Salahuddin of the United Jihad
Council.  Whatever will you say then, young Aditya, when you see me talking
to him?

Sincerely,
Sonia Jabbar

> From: Aditya Raj Kaul <kauladityaraj at gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 15:43:51 +0530
> To: sarai list <reader-list at sarai.net>
> Subject: Re: [Reader-list] Real Face of Terrorist Yasin Malik
>
> My dear friend Sonia Jabbar. It was a Times Now News item on Internet;
> the
picture displayed; was self-explanatory and informative, so I decided
share it with the List members. Anyways, Thanks for refreshing my
> memory
back into early 2007, when this terrorist Yasin Malik led your protest
> early
in the morning of Feb. 22nd at Jantar Mantar near CP. I believe it was
> the
same day; Yasin Malik chose to have a hunger strike, and was later
> seen
enjoying mutton with Kasuri; while the very same mother's you mentioned
> were
crying at the protest site. Nevertheless; it is certainly none of
> my
business. :-)

There is a lot of imagination which has resulted in your
> last e-mail; things
need to be much more clear. Let me clarify a few myself.
> We had no intention
to harm anybody; we merely had come to protest against a
> psychopath killer
Yasin Malik. This cowardly act of some "Delhi group' of
> yours which you
don't feel important to mention doesn't go in a good way.

We
> all stood their opposite your protest gathering; raising slogans against
Yasin
> Malik's presence. Despite our peaceful means; by your and those MP's
(other
> powers) orders we 15-25 youth were forced into a barracde by the ACP
of that
> area. Some of us were even beaten and arrested. Our crime was only
that we
> were holding the tri-clolour and raising slogans against a
> terrorist
peacefully. Some 300 Delhi Police Jawans and other para-military
> personnel
surrounded us there suddenly.

Early evening we ended our protest
> after Police released some of our
activists who were earlier arrested. We
> called it a day then itself; and
moved towards our respective homes. Late at
> night we received calls from
Media and Police; questioning us on the incident
> which took place at India
Gate. We had no information on it. Late into the
> night through some media
sources we came to know that "Shiv Sena" members had
> taken responsibility
into this incident.

We 'Kashmiri Pandits' don't believe
> in harming others physically, that is a
coward's sign. Yasin Malik being one
> of them who mindlessly raped, kidnapped
and killed hundreds of innocent Hindus
> in the valley which led to the exodus
of half a million souls. He didn't even
> leave IAF personnel and killed them
on a bus stop; not to mention how he
> killed Kashmiri Muslim women; just
because they were close to Kashmiri
> Pandits. If you still want to blame us
and that makes you happy, I won't stop
> you. You can live with your
imagination friend :-)

I wonder, how could you
> organise such a public gathering; with a terrorist
being a part of such act.
> I'm sure you must have thought a thousand times
before such a drastic
> step.

Also, How do you question our right to protest? Do you just always have
problem with RIK protesting against your friend Terrorist Yasin Malik?
> Why
shouldn't we protest?

Later, days after this event, a journalist believed
> to be close to JKLF Gang
members, sent me a threatening e-mail; questioning my
> right to protest that
very day. I need not mention more or else they might
> just harm me.

Similarly, you mentioned about the Amnesty International event
> at Siri Fort.
I don't know who briefed you about our protest; surely he/she
> didn't know
the facts in totality. The protest was organised against the
> biased
reporting conducted by Amnesty International India; on the occasion of
> 60th
Anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. I don't
> understand
where "Sonia Jabbar" or her clicked photographs come in picture
> here. They
must have been in some corner inside; that was none of our
> business; we were
outside the auditorium; silently protesting. If you still
> have some doubts;
please visit the following link which has photographs,
> details and even
media cuttings of the event :
http://kashmiris-in-exile.blogspot.com/2008/01/kashmiri-pandits-protest-agai
> nst.html

I hope I've answered all your questions at length. I won't ask for
> any
apology from you; this propaganda has become a trend now which we face
> on
and off. Just to tease 'Kashmiri Pandit Community' which has
> constantly
lived under the threat of terrorist organisation JKLF; a terrorist
> Yasin
Malik is time and again flown to New Delhi given all 5-star treatment,
> and
put in front of media glare as an Icon. Shame on those who glorify
> such
killers and then say we sympathise with the victims. Understand
> the
difference between a 'victim' and a 'terrorist'.

I sympathise with you
> Sonia; of whatever pain you suffered at India Gate. It
was a cowardly act and
> unfortunate. However, this is the least one could
suffer after encouraging a
> terrorist openly and further justifying his acts.
I for sure cannot take your
> e-mail so casually, where you openly mention of
supporting a terrorist. Why
> ?

I welcome your support for Pandits. But, Sonia let me inform you,
> inviting
this bloody terrorist Yasin Malik'; would be indirectly inviting
> 'Roots In
Kashmir' always. Please don't compare a terrorist with "an entire
> community'
which was thrown out of the valley at gun point. Its strange and
> sad; why
you don't stand up and raise your voice against the dastardly acts
> of
terrorism committed by Yasin Malik and his gang ? I dare you to campaign
> for
this.

Its easy to write hundreds of words for such a person; but it is
> difficult
to stand hand in hand with a 'minority' for Justice. Its been 18
> years now,
Sonia.

In exile,

Aditya Raj Kaul

On 10/24/08, S. Jabbar

--
Aditya Raj
> Kaul

Freelance Correspondent, The Times of India
Cell -

To subscribe: send an email to reader-list-request at sarai.net