[Reader-list] terror in kashmir: what the news wont tell you

Aarti Sethi aarti.sethi at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 04:05:24 IST 2008

Dear All,

Shivam posted these on kafila today. I thought they should also be shared
with this list. Please take the time to go through them. They made my blood
run cold. I think everyone would do well to ask themselves if any cause, no
matter how dear they hold it, would justify this violence in their names.
Because this is being done in our names, everyone one of us who carry Indian
passports, everyone of us who pay taxes, everyone one of us who voted in the
elections that formed this government. If this violence is the "means" to
the end of keeping kashmir with India, then perhaps it is time even for
passionate nationalists to ask whether it is worth it to see yourselves
brutalized beyond recognition, to make you complicit in this brutality
beyond comprehension.

Aarti

ng mother not spared during
curfew<http://www.greaterkashmir.com/full_story.asp?Date=29_8_2008&ItemID=16&cat=1>

CRPF administers 'patriotic' dose to 56-yr
old<http://www.greaterkashmir.com/full_story.asp?Date=31_8_2008&ItemID=15&Cat=21>

Crippling curfew devastates fruit
industry<http://www.greaterkashmir.com/full_story.asp?Date=31_8_2008&ItemID=6&Cat=21>

Sikh Youth thrashed by Samiti supporters
<http://etalaat.com/english/News/front-page/2566.html>

'Dangerous conspiracy to give communal color to
movement'<http://www.greaterkashmir.com/full_story.asp?Date=31_8_2008&ItemID=13&Cat=21>

While we were gagged<http://www.greaterkashmir.com/full_story.asp?Date=31_8_2008&ItemID=22&cat=1>
8 Killed, Hundreds Injured In 7 Days, Massive Clampdown On Valley

Where are pro-freedom
leaders?<http://www.greaterkashmir.com/full_story.asp?Date=31_8_2008&ItemID=20&cat=1>
Geelani's Son-In-Law Seeks Red Cross' Intervention

Curfew relaxed, not
beating<http://www.greaterkashmir.com/full_story.asp?Date=31_8_2008&ItemID=17&cat=1>
'It is terrorism in uniform'

Yeh BBC London Ki Urdu Service
Hai<http://www.greaterkashmir.com/full_story.asp?Date=31_8_2008&ItemID=11&cat=1>
News starved Kashmiris tune into popular radio program of 90's in curfew

Tangmarg Imam goes missing
<http://www.risingkashmir.com/?option=com_content&task=view&id=6300>

Curfew revives water transport on
Jhelum<http://www.risingkashmir.com/?option=com_content&task=view&id=6301>

AMK condemns demand for ban on Kashir channel
<http://www.risingkashmir.com/?option=com_content&task=view&id=6298>

Hindu chauvinist derails Mumbai citizens' sit-in
<http://www.risingkashmir.com/?option=com_content&task=view&id=6317>

Azaadi echo in Delhi
<http://www.risingkashmir.com/?option=com_content&task=view&id=6320>
Civil right activists favour Kashmir independence

Steep rise in CRPF battalions in Valley<http://www.kashmirtimes.com/news3.htm>