[Reader-list] Fwd: Delhi University gets ABVP president after 8 years/reader-list Digest, Vol 62, Issue 35

s|s supreet.sethi at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 09:46:31 IST 2008

A government given largess of reservation is not going change society.
It will not, I am sorry to say, change the way we think. I distinctly
remember doing this oil/water experiment. Where we use different
colored fluids and try to mix by shaking or turning container around.
What we do through reservation is possibly that? Finally tremors will
come to rest. May be what was up, comes down and visa versa. But two
liquids remain separate.

Merit or no merit, reservation has created more fissures in social
terrain than mending any. More voilence is perpetrated because of
perceived favoritism while the reservation itself does not create
enough economic traction to uplift the deprived. We have been seeing
that for 30 years. The whole Gujjar, Meena affair is a case in point.

I am not against reservation, but the way government is going about it
is unique and unprecedented. Its ability to change society
questionable. It might win them an election. But from my point of
view, this is clearly subversion of democracy. Mockery of everything
we stand for as republican a democracy.

As affirmative actions what we really, I hope, want to provide young
individual of every caste is social mobility. That will not come about
by giving that individual a job as a clerk in some government office
and 10,570 Rs. a month to take home to his Dalit family. Maybe they
fetch more, in case they get into AIIMS, even more in case they pass
through IAS. But the label still remains, stuck from a generation to
another.

The stratified society, in my opinion changes by inter-caste
marriages. If there are bonds of love between castes, you will feel
pain if something happens to your relative. Otherwise one part of
society could disappear and nobody will lament. Oh some PhD proposals
might become unfashionable but thats about it.

--
~preet~