[Reader-list] Marriot Bombing_breaking News

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Mon Sep 22 12:56:33 IST 2008

Rashneek,

I am absolutely appalled that you should find anything to laugh about
in a terrible tragedy like what has occurred in Islamabad. I hope
that all list members will join me in condemning this. I grieve for
those who died in Islamabad as much as I grieve for those who died in
Delhi, or Bangalore, or Ahmedabad, or Jaipur. As I am sure many
sensible people would. No doubt, there will be people, not unlike
you, in Pakistan, who will jump to the gun and say that the blast was
the handiwork of 'Indian' agents. There is a mirroring that goes on
in Pakistan of every stupid xenophobic paranoid sentiment in India.
Such moves need to be resisted in Pakistan exactly as much as they
need to be criticised and resisted in India. The security and
intelligence apparatus of both states function in an arbitrary and
unaccountable manner that ultimately rebounds back on the common
people of both countries. It is time, that in both India, and in
Pakistan, we saw through this game.

No one on this list has ever condoned terrorism in any form, whether
it happens in India, Pakistan or anywhere else. We do not make light
of terrorism. Those of us who ask questions about the nature of
investigations done by security agencies , do so, not because we have
some kind of pathological desire to create a climate of contempt
regarding acts of terror, but because we are deeply concerned at the
mounting numbers of lives that are lost to terror. We are not
convinced that the arbitrary and un-professional manner in which
these investigations are conducted, be they in India, or indeed, in
Pakistan, are actually instrumental in achieving any results. We are
not convinced that  the conduct of the investigative agencies betrays
a fidelity to the need for getting to the actual culprits.

The reasons for our skepticism lie in the statements that are made by
the invesitgative agencies, and the discrepancies and inconsistencies
in them, and in the lackadaisical manner in which the pursuit of the
sources of terror in all cases is conducted. They make an utter
mockery of professional standards, be they forensic, or legal.

If you are really interested in combatting terrorism, you will need
to do more than laugh the next time a lot of people lose their lives,

Shuddha