[Reader-list] desist from clicking 'send'

Nazneen Anand Shamsi nazoshmasi at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 23 23:10:50 IST 2008

Dear Iram,

Thank you for your post. I wonder why are you concerned about how people
articulate their views. If this is a non-moderated forum for discussion,
then please let it be so. Personal rebukes/accusations/conversations will
always be a part of any public conversations. One cannot assume all those
who post here will do so by implicitly subscribing to an agreed upon public
etiquette. Don't you think that by writing periodic mails like the one
below, you as a representative of sarai, engage in doublespeak. Could I ask,
with all due respects, as to who are you, to assign an exchange as
'insulting', and how can you categorize, an exchange as 'petty'.

If there is a categorical database, which the list administrator adheres to
for archiving the list, then, don't you think that we, as participants of
this list are entitled to it. If there are any such rules and regulations,
then please share it with us. I am sure, all of us, would be benefit from
it. If you have no desire to witness any witty comments, then, my dear, why
don't you just delete all those mails, like we do, instead of threatening us
with your assumed/imagined personal/organizational norms of decency.

This issue with respect to language has come up on the list from time to
time. I want to take Iram's letter as an opportunity to ask to all
concerned, if language is such a big issue with list members, then please
drop this pretense of non-moderated publicness of this list. Please make
this list a private members only community, where, all those of us who are
articulate, respectful of each other may engage in polite conversation.

I would more than happy to be not included in this 'aap-jeenab' crowd.

Best

Nazo.