[Reader-list] Jamia Millia should be prosecuted

Iram Ghufran iram at sarai.net
Fri Sep 26 01:28:51 IST 2008

Dear all

This is in continuation of the discussion on whether or not, Jamia
Millia Islamia should provide legal aid to its students - Mohammad
Shakeel and Zia-ur -Rehman, arrested on charges of terrorist and anti
national activities.

Before I go further, let me say very categorically that like many others
on this forum and elsewhere, I believe there needs to be a judicial
inquiry in the Batla House encounter, attempts should be made to ensure
that the students do not remain in police custody longer than necessary
and that pressure should be built to ensure that they are treated with
dignity in police custody.

I will begin with a question. What choices did Mushirul Hasan, Vice
Chancellor of Jamia MIllia Islamia have in terms of 'show of support' to
his students?

In his address to the student body and later at a press conference,
Mushirul Hasan, VC of Jamia Millia Islamia stated that the University
would provide legal aid to the arrested students, from the Student
Welfare Fund. I feel that the Vice Chancellor, should not have promised
this. He can provide legal aid in a personal capacity, as part of a
citizens collective but NOT as Vice Chancellor ON BEHALF of the University.

Before I go into my reasons for saying this, let me add that my argument
is based on the premise that the term 'legal aid' implies monetary help
to fund a court case - specially for people who would otherwise not have
a fair legal representation.

The VC cited an earlier incident when armed policemen forcibly entered
the SRK boys hostel, beat up and took in custody many students. He is
using this as a precedent for Jamia to support the two students on issue
under discussion. For a PUCL report on the previos episode, see -
http://www.pucl.org/reports/Delhi/delhi-jamia.htm
The aforementioned incident happened on campus. The students were
mistreated within the University compound, under the 'guardianship' of
the VC, the Proctor, the Registrar, and the hostel Warden. The
University administration, responsible for the welfare of the students
residing on campus was unable to prevent this unfair police action.

The Butla House encounter and arrests are a different issue. Here the
charges on the students have nothing to do with their academic life
(they allegedly did not blow up the chemistry lab in a failed
experiment), nor their non- academic university life (they did not
injure spectators in a inter university football championship). They
were certainly not representing Jamia Millia Islamia or the University
ideals of universal brotherhood, peace and secularism in the act that
they have been accused of committing (falsely or not).

My question is that if for example, the University has two thousand
students on its rolls, and even two percent of them get involved in some
form of litigation, will Jamia Millia be willing to support 40 cases a
year - cases that may drag on, beyond the academic term of the enrolled
student? Will the University provide 'legal aid' to students accused of
other 'anti State', 'anti national' activities (such as aiding militants
in the north East, Kashmir, maoists in Orissa, Chattisgarh)?

If a University believes itself to be the guardian of its students and
in that capacity provides legal aid, then there have to be norms laid
down - Which cases will get primacy? Who will decide which particular
student should be legally supported and which student should be left to
his or her own devices? The University also has to take into account the
thousands of other students and its responsibility to them. By making
Jamia Millia Islamia, an interested party in this 'case', the VC has
dragged not only the University, faculty, staff, students into this
unfortunate series of events but has put at stake the Universitys
reputation. Does the VC have a plan of action, in case the arrested
students are implicated on charges of 'terrorism'? Will the logic of
'innocent until proven guilty' help the rest of the students adjust to a
world that will see them as 'supporters' of 'terrorists'.  Even if one
of these students is sentenced to even one year of jail for aiding/
abetting an anti national act, it is not just an individual who will
lose face, it is not a team of lawyers, activists, supports who will
lose face, it will be the institution which lays claim to being the
'liberal' face of the Indian muslim. Has the VC calculated the
implications of this?

I feel that an autonomous body (perhaps with University support - Jamia,
JNU and DU) should be set up - that provides legal aid and counseling to
students. The Universities can provide financial support to such a body,
the students can contribute and raise independent funding. This is a
tentative proposition which has had precedent in various forms of
Committees for Defense for people accused of 'crimes' against the 'State'.

I understand that a strong political statement was the need of the hour.
But was a commitment to legal aid the only option?

Warm regards
Iram