[Reader-list] Jamia Millia should be prosecuted

iram at sarai.net iram at sarai.net
Sat Sep 27 19:46:03 IST 2008

Dear Nazo

Thank you for being concerned. Iram has reached her destination safely.

The list admin cannot do anything about off list responses. Your mail id is
accessible on an internet search engine and you cant ask the sarai list
admin to 'regulate' who writes to you. It is a risk we all take when we
write on a public forum. However, many people, in order to avoid this
'spamming' and 'irritation' use aliases. However, I am sure you dont need
any prescriptions on that from me. Now, coming to your mail:

I am not 'pushing' for an institutional framework for dispensing aid to the
arrested students of Jamia Millia. I am 'suggesting' as one other option,
for people to 'consider' - an autonomous body, that lies "outside the
institutional framework" of the University.

I am not satisfied by the VC's justification for promising to provide aid
on behalf of the University. And Your justification for 'dispensing aid',
based on 'social position' doesnt hold(your example of Salman Khurshid
suggests the financial status of the family). I wonder what your opinion is
if the same logic is applied to the Reservation policy in this country. Aid
based on social position? Reservation based on financial position and not
by virtue of caste? Was it not possible for the VC to arrange financial aid
to the arrested students outside the institutional framework of the Jamia
Millia Islamia University? If it was, the then I see his action bordering
on a 'gesture'. I understand that there is some gesturial value to this
decision, but what else?

I am sure that you know that Chandra Mohan was an art student at MSU
Baroda. He was attacked because of the work he produced under the aegis of
the University. I will understand if the Jamia Millia chooses to support
and provide legal aid to a PhD scholar, if his/her PhD comes under public
critique.

I hope you understand that it is not my intention to 'convince' you to my
line of thinking. I feel its important to look at this unfortunate series
of events from all possible perspectives. In fact, I would like to
understand your ideas on 'institutional frameworks' and 'legal aid' more
clearly. Do you think a body like the the "All India Defence Committee for
S.A.R. Geelani" wouldnt work in this case?

Looking forward
Best
Iram

On 7:26 am 09/27/08 "Nazneen Anand Shamsi" <nazoshmasi at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Dear Iram, Dear List admin,
>
> You may find this a little irritating, but I am sorry, I have stated
> this earlier and I am stating it again now, please refrain from any
> off-list conversations with me, for I do not want to engage with any
> members of this list in other fashion except in the form of a public
> dialogue. For all future reference, if one does not see any point  in
> announcing something to everyone, then, please, spare me from such
> announcements.
>
> Having said that, I eagerly look forward for iram&#39;s  response and
> I hope that she has a safe journey!
>
> Best
>
> Nazo
>

> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 2:53 PM, Iram Ghufran  wrote:
> Dear Nazo
> Another off list response - I see no point in announcing to everyone
> that I have a train to catch in a few hrs and will not have email
> access for  a few days. Will read your mail with care and respond
> soon. All the best
> Iram
>

> Nazneen Anand Shamsi wrote:
>
> Dear Iram,
>
> Thank you for your clarification apropos Taraprakash&#39;s mail.
> Allow me to add my two bit. Please tell me, why are you again and again
> pushing for an institutional framework for dispensing aid? I find this
> thinking paranoid and extremely dangerous, because, it tends to
> normalizes, fear and insecurity on one hand and routinizes suspicion on
> the other.
>
> Regarding your second argument, I don&#39;t know, whether there can
> be a bigger interest for an educational institution than to take care
> of its students and help the most vulnerable of its lot in the time of
need. Clearly, the students, have agreed to accept university&#39;&#39;s