[Reader-list] Seditious articles on Kashmir criticised

Lalit Ambardar lalitambardar at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 28 20:28:47 IST 2008

Dear Aarti,
Apologies for responding so late.But I thought I must share it with you
Please go through the following news item that had appeared in Hindustan Times of 28-7-2007on page no.8
Geelani wants
Part of acquittal
expunged
DELHI UNIVERSITY
Lecturer S.A.R. Geelani,
who was acquitted by
the Supreme Court in
the parliament attack
case, has approached
 the apex court to ex-
punge the remarks
made by the Bench
while passing the judge-
ment in 2005. A division
 bench of justice P.V.
Reddi and P.P. Naolekar
upheld Geelani’s acquit-
tal on August4,2005.
Justice Reddi, while
 writing the judgement,
had cast serious “suspi
cion” about Geelani’s
 conduct. The Bench had
observed the lecturer
seemed to have ap
proved the attack on the
 Parliament on Decem-
ber13,2001.      HTC
In the follow up the court did not grant relief in spite of a celebrity lawyer having pleaded for him (‘m trying to dig up archives to reproduce also the related news item for your info/ref).
When this man who is seen openly siding with the Kashmiri separatist movement that seeks secession of Muslim majority Kashmir valley from secular India, speaks on behalf of the Muslims in rest of India as well as accuses the Indian state of being anti Muslim, he is actually playing his own anti India agenda that is likely to influence the ‘young impressionable minds’.
This is no secret that the material & motivational source of most terror attacks be it on the Parliament, or 2005 Diwali eve bombing in Delhi can be traced to Kashmir or via Kashmir to POK & Pakistan. Therefore, it is a dangerous trend to allow known anti nationals to become the role models. Otherwise there is nothing personal about this man or his religious background. My heart goes out to all those hundreds of wailing mothers, widows & orphans whose loved ones continue to fall prey to extreme religion based indoctrination. Proponents of ‘azadi- bara- e –Islam’ have denounced Kashmiriyat but we even our exile continue to cherish it.
I have said it earlier that Muslims as a community should not be held any way responsible for the terror that is being spread in the name of Islam. It is a shame on us as Indians when after every such dastardly event the community is expected to bare their chests to prove their allegiance to the nation. Therefore, it becomes incumbent upon every Indian to come forward & try & isolate those who are claiming themselves to be the community representatives & have already announced as if the state of India has pounced upon the community.
But at the same time it can not be denied that there is a problem that needs to be addressed to.
You could be right in your description on relative love affiliations - that is, I think human nature.
About ‘nation state ‘belief of yours there could be limited discussion as you in spite of your own ‘belief’ seem to be sympathising with those who hounded out Hindu Pandits from the valley because they professed a different faith & that they symbolised Indian presence in the valley.
Regards

LA

Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 16:54:22 +0530From: aarti.sethi at gmail.comTo: lalitambardar at hotmail.comSubject: Re: [Reader-list] Seditious articles on Kashmir criticisedCC: kauladityaraj at gmail.com; reader-list at sarai.net
Dear Lalit,Would you like to begin a discussion on the travesty that was SAR Geelani's trial? We can certainly do so. Many on this list have followed that trial very closely. I am not being emotional about him at all. At least not unduly so. I think we should all feel emotional when someone who is patently innocent is sentenced to death for a crime he did not commit.I have never and do not support militancy of any kind. I do not support the taking of innocent lives. Nor have I ever supported the violence that lead to the exodus of Kashmiri Pandits from the valley. And in my last response to you I again asserted my empathy for what you have experienced and continue to experience. I do not have any sympathy for religious nationalisms, just as I have a critique of all nationalisms.However I do not support targetting people because of their religious or political views. I do not think that someone's political support for whatever form of azadi they may espouse in Kashmir automatically gives you or anyone else the right to proclaim they are terrorists or supporters of terrorism. And this is something you and others on this list do continously. Further I do not and will not support military occupation in Kashmir. And I do not see why strong support for the return of Kashmiri Pandits to the valley and condemnation of the conditions in which they were forced to leave, is mutually incompatible with an equally strong critique of the everyday excesses of the Indian state. For you it seems these are incompatible positions. I do not see why.Finally, you seem to throw my mentioning a stone from antartica in my face with contempt. Let me clarify what I mean and the context in which I said that. I was trying to point to the absurdity of alleging a personal stake in the fate of land simply on account of it being supposedly part of the same nation as yourself. I am not sure through what fait accompli of history I am entitled to feel a sense of ownership over the whole of the landmass of India so that I can assert with ferocity that I will have a say in deciding the destinies of people and pieces of land with which I have no connection other than the fact that they happen to fall within the map of India. I find the hysterical outbursts of sections of the mainstream opinion in this country quite frightening, to tell the truth. It is this ruthless logic of entitlement which enables us to demand that peasents in Singur give up their land for industry so "India" may benefit, that tribals in Niyamgiri be ousted for the benefit of "India" and Vedanta corporation, that Posco be given land in Orissa, and that villagers in Himachal Pradesh must relinquish land so Ford can build a ski resort. Therefore I prefer to think of my attachments in a slightly less violent fashion. I too feel attached but my attachment is not a territorial attachment.Likewise, certainly we must love people. But our affections for people are arrayed across several spectrums at the same time. I might feel different intensities of affection for different sets of people at different times and places. Sometimes it could be because of personal bonds of love, sometimes because we share different affiliations - of work, of interests, of experiences, of a vision, etc. I may not know them personally, I might feel affection and attachment because we are travellers on the same path. I do not necessarily feel an unvaryingly fixed and higher affection for some people because we happen to be citizens of the same country, though yes sometimes that might be the indice along which my affection is located. But not necessarily so. I can say with confidence that in many instances the fact that someone is Indian will in no way compensate for the several extremely good reasons which would make me dislike them intensly.I hope this clarifys what I was trying to say.regardsAarti
On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 4:00 PM, Lalit Ambardar <lalitambardar at hotmail.com> wrote:

Dear Aarti,It is not so simple. Please go through the case story as also about  the 'desperate attempt' using the skills of the senior celebrity criminal lawyer to get that tag of 'technical grounds'  deleted. It was by no means an honorable acquittal. And as mentioned earlier I accept the court verdict as I respect the judiciary -the law of the land.Listen, if only you could feel & imagine what  Kashmir Hindu pandits have gone through at the hands of the Kashmiri pan Islamists,you would possibly pause before being so emotional about the man who like many others of his ilk is  seen openly in the company of the Kashmiri Muslim terror commanders turned self acclaimed leaders  spewing venom against the Indian state at every available forum. You need to understand the pain of wailing Kashmiri Muslim mothers,widows & orphans whose credulous loved ones continue to fall prey to the indoctrination & propaganda campaign of those who have been allowed to acquire a kind of political legitimacy & are pursuing their own sinister agenda. If only someone like you would also go & tell the Kashmiri masses about  the consequences of  'azadi -bara -e -Islam'.To adore a stone piece from uninhabitable antarctica & to love & be possessive about your own country & its people are in no way similar.RegardsLA

> Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 02:47:32 +0530
> From: aarti.sethi at gmail.com> To: kauladityaraj at gmail.com

> [...]

Watch useful tips on recipes, fitness, yoga and fashion only on MSN videos. Try it!