[Reader-list] Jamia Millia University should be prosecuted

Nazneen Anand Shamsi nazoshmasi at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 29 00:27:50 IST 2008

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 7:19 PM, Nazneen Anand Shamsi <
nazoshmasi at googlemail.com> wrote:

    Dear Inder,

    Thank you for your mail. It was a pleasure to read all those quotes
inter meshed with your thoughts. The foreground/background dialectic again!
I often think about death in relation to time and memory. As we grow older
we are burdened with the memory of times gone by. Yet when we are living a
moment we are so unaware of the weight we are producing for ourselves. We do
things because we want to. Yet that want seems so hollow after a while.
Bereft of any meaning. Devoid of any essence. We want to move on. Change
with times. Time of course, is experiential. I think about the intensity of
the present which consumes all other moments. The one which has just gone by
and the one which is yet to come.

    Why is it that there is no memory of immediate present? We remember time
only through events. In this respect that quote from Socrates seems so apt,
' my face is merging with the mask'. He did not die a natural death. He
choose his  time and place. He choose his event. He knew. He was aware.
Suicide for me, is perhaps much more than theologically inspired concept of
'weakness'. It is a moment of truth. In this world of appearances, where we
are always told to be someone, a toast of hemlock seems like a final
acknowledgment of one's being. That I will not negotiate. I will not be. I
remember, when I was a child, I used to freeze when someone would ask,
'badhe hoke kya banoge' (What will you be when you grow up?). I didn't know
it then. I don't know it now. Somewhere along the way I have stopped
searching.

    We live in multiple times. Dream, fantasy, anxiety, desire, angst, anger
are all states of experiencing time while being at someplace else. Death in
a sense is perhaps the most pure experience of time. I think it is in the
moment of death perhaps we solve the problematic of time. But what about
other states of death. Like Jamia encounter. or the Delhi blasts. The
inspector didn't know. The students didn't know. The victims didn't know.
Death signified horror. The time code was interrupted. Or may be, on the
last day of their lives they didn't know. They died with their masks on. Or
perhaps the mask was never there. We will never know.  'Sar par kafan bandh
ke chalna' is only a contingent practice. We are trapped in this profound
fiction of normality. Floating in a river of fire. Sometimes we consume. At
others we are consumed. We want to believe that when we grow old we die.
Like four stages of life. We demand temporal stability. We dream about life
as if it will be fair to us. We forget that a still born baby also dies a
natural death. In an earlier post Jeebesh mentioned something about
'thanatocracy' with respect to Kashmir and the Indian state. Death signifies
power in this regard. The naked vulnerability. Death is an essential
condition for any state. Sovereign or otherwise. Yes death is political in
its nakedness. You observed about signifier and signified with respect to
that ramp walk of model terrorists. May be terrorism has become a new
pornography of our times. We have finally arrived at a live TV formula to
keep people/audiences/citizens/consumers/voters/individuals glued so that
they can see some soap and soft drink ads. A report in outlook (
http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp?fodname=20081006&fname=BDelhi+Encounter+(F)&sid=1)
describes how a Delhi police special cell inspector was dressed as a
salesman when he knocked on the doors of student/'terrorist'. He had don a
mask perhaps to fabricate death. Death becomes a lure, a performance, to be
enacted convincingly in front of live TV.

    And Kabir says, 'Aayein hain soo jaayenge rajah rnk faquir'.

    Best

    Nazo

    On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 2:17 PM, inder salim <indersalim at gmail.com>