[Reader-list] In the Name of Faith-Irfan Hussain (in Dawn)

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Tue Sep 30 15:48:51 IST 2008

Dear Rashneek,

Many thanks for the forwarded text that mentioned  the state of
Ahmediyas in Pakistan. I found it interesting to read and think about.

Ahmediyas have for a long time suffered constitutional and systemic
disabilities in Pakistan of an exceptional nature, which in my view
are deserving of condemnation by any sensible human being. Hindus,
Christians and Parsis (legally and constitutionally) have actually
had a better deal in Pakistan, at least since the time the 'Anti-
Ahmediya' laws promulgated initially by Zulfikar Ali Bhutto's
government in 1974 (which were then ruthlessly implemented under the
dictatorship of Zia ul Haq [the favourite Islamist, together with the
Ibn Saud family, of the Western world] ) than have Ahmediyas.

Given that Hindus, Sikhs, the Kalash and Christians, and even Shia
Muslims, and Muslims unwilling to live by the dictates of zealots,
have had a very rough time at the hands of Muslim Fundamentalists (in
or out of power) in Pakistan, one can only imagine, how much worse it
has been for Ahmediyas, who do not enjoy even the token
constitutional protections that other 'minorities' in Pakistan have
theoretical recourse to. Christians are attacked in Pakistan, their
churches burnt, exactly as they are in India, and they are often made
the special target of the repressive 'blasphemy' laws in Pakistan.
The few Hindus, Sikhs and Kalash left in Pakistan are relatively
unmolested, except for in stupid 'tit-for-tat' attacks that occur
when Muslims are targeted in India. The Kalash, (inhabitants of the
remote 'Northern Areas' of Pakistan Occupied Kashmir) who are
probably one of the few communities with an extant, surviving and
continuous links to the nature worshipping Rig Vedic and pre Rig
Vedic Indo-European religious traditions in the South Asian
subcontinent, are largely ignored, and have survived, because of
their relative obscurity. (See Alice Albinia's excellent recent book
'Empires of the Indus' for a detailed chapter on the Kalash in Pakistan)

Recently, only a few days ago, I personally witnessed the lament of a
group of poor Pakistani Shia pilgrims in the Shrine to the
decapitated head of Imam Hussain in an annex to the Umayyad mosque in
Damascus. In their prayers, they spoke openly, tearfully (and
movingly) of the violent campaigns against Shias and their places of
worship in Pakistan, which brought home to me the vulnerable status
of all 'minority' communities in South Asia. But the attacks on
Ahmediyas enjoy a degree of unprecedented state sanction and
protection, that makes them even more, particularly vulnerable in
Pakistan. People can be prosecuted (in theory) for tearing down a
Shia Mosque, or a Hindu Temple in Pakistan, but it is the state that
of its own, tears down an Ahmediya place of worship (if it dares to
call itself a mosque) or limits or proscribes the actual life of the
Ahmediya community in Pakistan. The Sarai Reader 05: Bare Acts has a
very good  essay on the legal limitations on Ahmediyas in Pakistan
by  which I would heartily recommend to everyone on this list.

Earlier, in the course of my research on the 'Danish' cartoon
episode, I discovered that there was an earlier 'cartoon'
controversy, which involved Sunni Muslim Fundamentalists reviling
Ahmediyas with cartoons (in websites and publications)  that were
just as obscene and pathetic as the ones now known popularly as the
'Danish' cartoons. The Ahmediya protests at the insults hurled
against them in the form of a cartoon were of course at that time met
with deafening  and derisive silence, especially in Pakistan. As a
believer in the freedom of speech and expression, I have consistently
opposed the demand to ban or censor material such as the 'Danish
Cartoons' even though I would myself argue very strongly  against the
content of the same cartoons.

I was struck then by the hypocrisy inherent in the fact that many
amongst those Muslim zealots in Pakistan and elsewhere who strongly
called for a 'ban on the Danish cartoons' or even 'death to the
Danish cartoonists' chose to see nothing wrong in similarly
objectionable cartoons directed against their own adversaries (in
this case the Ahmediyas). Its not as if they had anything against a
bona fide and maliciously obscene image, its just that they were
concerned about 'injury' only when it came to a matter of to their
own sentiment. I see an exact mirror of this in the fact that Hindu
fundamentalists who cry themselves hoarse over insults to their
'honour' in the form of images, often deploy the most virulent
imagery in their own descriptions of the things that are sacred to
their antagonists.

Muslim fundamentalism, like all forms of religious bigotry (Hindu,
Christian, Jewish, Sikh, Buddhist) , is fuelled by a dehumanization
of the one that it designates as its principal other. Often, the most
violent form of animosity is reserved, paradoxically, not for the
categorical 'other', (with whom some accommodation is arrived at over
a protracted historical process) but for the 'other' close enough to
resemble oneself most of all. Freud used to call this 'the narcissism
of minor difference' and saw in it a secret reservoir of neurotic
self-hatred and insecurity projected on to those who are different
from, but still closely resemble, the self.

This explains why Jewish and Muslim fundamentalists (who have so much
in common, doctrinally, and in terms of practice) hate each other so
much today (even though ordinary non-fundamentalist but practising
Jews and Muslims have co-habited, collaborated and shared cultures,
spaces and ways of life peacefully, intimately and fruitfully for
more than a thousand years in Spain, the Arab countries, Turkey, Iran
and India) and this also explains the peculiarly lethal intensity to
anti-Ahmediya sentiment in Pakistan, and more recently in Bangladesh,
and the venality of anti-Bahai sentiment amongst the ruling Islamic
fundamentalist clique in today's Iran.

Thank you for this opportunity to reflect (albeit fragmentarily on my
part) on the 'narcissism of minor difference'. Though I agree with
most of what the author of the text forwarded by you says, I do not
necessarily agree that to 'fight' the Taliban, one has to do it in
connivance with the United States of America's foreign policy goals.
The United States of America was once just as happy arming Islamists
in Pakistan as it is mobilizing everyone to fight them today, and,
lest we forget, it continues to sustain the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia,
which, in my opinion is the single most oppressive and repressive
state in the world today, and that is a state run by the worst, and
most regressive kind of Islamic fundamentalists ever known in human
history.

regards,

Shuddha