[Reader-list] Mallika Sarabhai's Public Meeting in JNU on 31st March

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 07:17:38 IST 2009

Dear Pawan

What kind of context are you talking about? And if any context is fit enough
to justify killings, then can you tell me why do you think Babur is wrong,
for after all he was only trying to bring about the Mughal rule in India,
and who knows whether he actually believed in what he wrote or it was only a
gimmick to ensure that the Muslim clergy was satisfied?

Even assuming he believed in it, he wanted to establish 'Islamic' rule. So
he destroyed and looted temples. Do you mean to say this context justifies
these killings? And hence the BJP's context of destroying masjids and mazars
is justified?

As for the JNU, it has been by and large a leftist university. What is the
problem with that? After all, before talking of the 'low standards' of the
JNU, go and read history in the numerous 'Saraswati Shishu Mandir' schools
run by RSS across the country, and you would be ashamed. After reading that
history, Khushwant Singh had once commented that even the British would be
surprised that it has more communalizing content than that taught in history
under the British rule in India to practise 'divide and rule'.

I have problems with the leftist violence unleashed in the name of Maoism as
well as with their economic policies somewhat. But does that mean we go on
ridiculing them? And if yes, it is better to first ridicule the BJP and
their Sangh Parivar, which will destroy the very foundations on which the
Indian state and Indian democracy were established.

Regards

Rakesh