[Reader-list] Mallika Sarabhai's Public Meeting in JNU on 31stMarch

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 00:46:08 IST 2009

Dear Mr. Durani

Since you pointed out, I have cross-checked my information, which as you
pointed out correctly, was wrong. One person was killed, and one injured in
an army firing on August 6,2008 during the agitation. From the information I
got on some other sites through searching, the others seem to be dead in
police firing. Altogether 12 people died during this agitation.

I am sorry for putting wrong information, but I didn't intend to do it.
However, is it not true that the Army firings resulted in death of more
number of people in the Valley rather than in Jammu? And while the Army used
more caution in dealing with incidents in Jammu, it didn't exercise the same
caution in the Valley?

My issue is simply this. Stone-pelting can be addressed through various
ways. Announcements of curfew, firing in air and if possible, use of rubber
bullets (or even use of tear gas) must be tried before resorting to firing
at mobs. In how many cases has this been done, would be an interesting
query, whether it be Kashmir valley or be it Jammu.

Regards

Rakesh