[Reader-list] secularly secular.

asad abbasi asad_abbasi at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 6 20:16:18 IST 2009

Dear rajen,
Your idea was interesting but only to the point of its complexity. Not only, as i see it, you posted a very biased view of religions but also that view lacked some common sense. I understand that you said that 1)every individual knows "what is right and what is wrong for him" and 2)happiness comes in society when people practice their rights but at the same time showing respect to others' rights as well.
you seem to miss a point, when these two are incompatible. Let’s say when showing respect to other peoples' rights is not ideal for an individual. So that particular individual may violate point 1 or point 2. but as we live in a very unselfless  society most people will do what is good for them rather than for themselves.
Your point of view is a way very Marxist that people will care for overall welfare of the society rather than maximising their own personal utility. Whether Marxist view is pragmatic is a separate debate but surely as I think our world is no utopia so rights will be violated and they are violated, Individual rights, human rights, property rights, minority rights and many more.
At this point 'state' enters. And the role of state is very complicated and we have different sides to this idea. And these are the questions that we need to tackle down. How much of a state should interfere or should it just play a night watchmen role? Will society benefit from secularism (with all its different meanings)? Or shall we follow a religious law? Do religions contradict with moral ethics? With this we can go forward and get something significant, if not for the society, but for our own personal prejudices.

warm regards,
Asad