[Reader-list] Seize the moment

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 11 04:51:28 IST 2009

Dear Sandeep

Could you please elaborate on your, 'bit soft but ok', remark, in a
sense that, what do you mean by it? More specifically I would be
interested in knowing your views on the word 'soft'. For in the last
five years when Congress was in power, the word 'soft' was used on many
occasions by the likes of BJP to provide a general description of the
ruling dispensation. This is diametrically opposite to a view which
conjures up when we say-'hard', a word, which many in BJP would like to
associate. This word resonates even in the speeches of the RSS. For
instance, I was particularly appalled to hear the speech of Mohan
Bagwat, the newly selected RSS boss, wherein on numerous occasions he
uses  Sanskritized words which could be roughly translated to the word
'hard', to describe the tasks which RSS has to do, the decisions which
RSS has to take and so on. ( you may access this speech on the RSS
website- http://www.rss.org/ ). This speech was given on the occasion of
Sarsanghchalak Pranam on the evening of 21st March in Nagpur. I was
deeply shocked to hear RSS boss, Bhagwat, utter a blatant lie, which was
completely unconstitutional that, 'India is a Hindu Rashtra'. For him,
and unfortunately for many others who are charmed by RSS's ideology, a
view that India must only belong to adherents of one particular religion
is a 'hard' fact.

with warm regards

Taha