[Reader-list] FW: Seize the moment

Sandeep vashsand at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 11 14:40:18 IST 2009

Dear Taha

what i meant by "bit soft but ok" was that i found article bit superficial.

it never touches the main "reasons" behind this communal madness, which

are to be found in in 1920s if not even further back (p.s our discussion around

Nandy`s article). In India there was never a open honest discussion around

historical dimension of hindu muslim relations. it was either glorification

of great ashoka and great akbar or just idotic denial of either Aryan migration

theory or equally idiotic denial of Islam was not spread by coercion in India

but by sufis. Leaving aside crackpots who claim human race was born in Lahore

(i mean people who deny aryan migration theory without any evidence).

Coming back to islamic rule in india, much has written about it. If there

was no coercion why did a whole lot of upper caste/class hindus converted

to islam? U still find lot of randhvas, rathores etc as surnames among

muslims! if not to ease up their way into social ladder?. These questions are never

properly adressed by liberals/leftists. There is denial mode about Islams past

and i dont mean that islams role in india or esltwhere was only regressive but nor was

it a rose garden. F.ex why dont any old Zarthustra temples to be found any more

in iran, afganistan etc.

I think first step towards honest discussion would be admittence from not only

upper caste hindus that they have opressed lower caste and tribal ppl of South

Asia but also from Muslims too that islamic rule wasnt democratic it was feudal

and religious coercion was also a part of it. Today most europeans admit that

colonialism/imperialism and even christianization of europe

was bloody so why can`t muslims also start doing that!

P.S. i think spreding of hinduism in south asia was not very peaceful either

but i havent come across any study around it. In nutshell i want to say

that whatever we are our forefathers/mothers were once oppressors, some

were worse than others but that might be matter of chance and opportunity.

So "es hamam main ham sabh nange hain" unless we admit it theres bound to be conflict.

Use of word soft..i dont like the phenomenon soft ..neither in romance nor

in public life  i prefer to be passionate. And im not fan of RSS or anybody else

in whole political spectrum. By the way did u noticed in anti-americanism of RSS chief,

he sounded like any common Leftist.

Cheers

Sandeep