[Reader-list] BANGLADESH: Ey Poth Amadero/Road Is Ours As Well

Naeem Mohaiemen naeem.mohaiemen at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 12:28:51 IST 2009

If you are in Dhaka, come join this event today @ 4pm. Starting at
National Museum and then going to Rabindra Sarobar. Bring a bicycle if
you have one.

Ey Poth Amadero/Road Is Ours As Well

The Road always did belong to us, yet why don’t we embrace it more
often? With the constant worry of safety, traffic, road conditions,
eve teasers and random mishaps it’s not very easy for woment to walk
the roads of Dhaka, yet it’s part of her basic rights. To reassure
those rights, to reinvent that feeling of physical liberation come
join us for “Ey Poth Amadero”event in front of the national museum on
April 11th at 4:00 pm. We will run/jog/walk and bike around 3
kilometers ending at Rabindra Sarabar where we will celebrate being
human, being women, being men and our roads with some thoughts and
some wishes and songs by Anusheh and Krishnokoli.

As part of a larger campaign for dignity for women in the streets,
Drishtipat Bangladesh produced a series of write ups in local media.
They are below

Prothom Alo - Shamim Azad
Ei Poth Amadero - Shobjanta
Ei Poth Amadero - Saimon
R-e-s-p-e-c-t - Zafar Sobhan
Claiming Our Ground - Shabnam Nadiya
Walk down the street with your eyes down - Jahanara Nuri
Frogs and Snakes — Iffat Nawaz
Take Back The Streets — Hana Shams Ahmed
Street Defenders — Naeem Mohaiemen

http://unheardvoice.net/blog/2009/04/10/ei-poth-amadero/