[Reader-list] Manmohan singh and elections.?

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 20:26:26 IST 2009

Dear Anupam ji

I never meant that Advani is not an accused or an accused. However, one has
to put out facts before that. And since you state that it's arm chair
intellectualism, I would like to point out that it's this very
intellectualism which ensures that people are punished duly as per the law.
Hence, whether you like it or not (equally for me as well), we have to
accept that such statements must be made very carefully, whether by Advani
or by you.

I don't know about Congress rule in Assam, so I won't speak on it.

And the way you go about, Narendra Modi will be accused of raping women in
Gujarat riots!! That is not the fact. He is blamed because being the chief
minister, he had the state power at his disposal to control the mobs. He
failed in that. Many police officers then told the survivors that they had
been told not to use guns for 72 hours. Moreover, his government failed to
do what was required for those living in relief camps post-riots, which
tells another story of its own. That does not mean he is a rapist. (This is
just an analogy. I mean to say Advani can be accused indirectly, but
certainly not directly. I believe the former, you seem to be drifting
towards the latter.)

And unfortunately, whether you like it or not, one has to care. Because
one's understanding of any society must be based on sound reason and
rational analysis. There certainly can be bias (within me or you), but we
must certainly try to look at it from a neutral perspective. And being a
reporter, you certainly are more in touch with the society, which I respect.

But being the reporter one must also remember, believe something which is
provable beyond doubt. Otherwise, it would lead only to sensationalism.

Regards

Rakesh