[Reader-list] Manmohan singh and elections.?

anupam chakravartty c.anupam at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 18:10:10 IST 2009

Rajen

There is a difference between being rhetorical and saying things backed with
facts or at least some kind of observation by being present where the things
are really happening. First, let’s look at your answer here. I am sure it
took a long time to read up on Assam. But you have failed miserably here.
Let me tell you how:

   1. Associating religion with the poor immigrant who comes to Assam to
   work as a rickshawallah/farm labourer/egg seller/gardener is very
   unfortunate. Usually, in Assam they are referred as Bangladeshi not as
   MUSLIMS, as you stated among the educated people.
   2. If you go by the historical facts, the only original inhabitants of
   Assam are Bodos, Kochari, Rabha and Mising tribes. Smaller tribes are also
   included. However, the Hindu and Ahom kings were later settlers in the area.
   Kamakhya temple in Guwahati was built somewhere in 14th century after
   Ahom and other kings of the area summoned Hindu priests. So historically, if
   I go by the religious way of looking at it, there were Hindu immigrants
   first.
   3. The present Assamese youth though progressive in their outlook are
   more prone to work in the white collar or blue collar sectors rather than
   working as farm hands. Most of the labourers are either from Bangladesh or
   from Bihar and UP. Once these labourers are removed, most of the schemes in
   the state be it NDA or UPA sponsored would fail.

I would request you Rajen not draw generalised idea about one specific
political group from this particular region without knowing what’s really
going on. I think the problems in Assam are not of communal in nature so
please keep your analysis to yourself.

Thanks and regards
Anupam