[Reader-list] A Modest Appeal to Election Propagandists

Zubin Pastakia zubinpastakia at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 02:51:29 IST 2009

Shuddha,

I have been re-reading Orwell lately, and the following paragraph (I
have taken the liberty to partition it) continues to prove invaluable
in understanding the minds of those that duckspeak:

"A Party member is expected to have no private emotions and no
respites from enthusiasm. He is supposed to live in a continuous
frenzy of hatred of foreign enemies and internal traitors, triumph
over victories, and self-abasement before the power and wisdom of the
Party. The discontents produced by his bare, unsatisfying life are
deliberately turned outwards and dissipated by such devices as the Two
Minutes Hate, and the speculations which might possibly induce a
sceptical or rebellious attitude are killed in advance by his early
acquired inner discipline.

"The first and simplest stage in the discipline, which can be taught
even to young children, is called, in Newspeak, crimestop. Crimestop
means the faculty of stopping short, as though by instinct, at the
threshold of any dangerous thought. It includes the power of not
grasping analogies, of failing to perceive logical errors, of
misunderstanding the simplest arguments if they are inimical to
Ingsoc, and of being bored or repelled by any train of thought which
is capable of leading in a heretical direction. Crimestop, in short,
means protective stupidity.

But stupidity is not enough. On the contrary, orthodoxy in the full
sense demands a control over one's own mental processes as complete as
that of a contortionist over his body. Oceanic society rests
ultimately on the belief that Big Brother is omnipotent and that the
Party is infallible. But since in reality Big Brother is not
omnipotent and the party is not infallible, there is need for an
unwearying, moment-to-moment flexibility in the treatment of facts.

The keyword here is blackwhite. Like so many Newspeak words, this word
has two mutually contradictory meanings. Applied to an opponent, it
means the habit of impudently claiming that black is white, in
contradiction of the plain facts. Applied to a Party member, it means
a loyal willingness to say that black is white when Party discipline
demands this. But it means also the ability to believe that black is
white, and more, to know that black is white, and to forget that one
has ever believed the contrary. This demands a continuous alteration
of the past, made possible by the system of thought which really
embraces all the rest, and which is known in Newspeak as doublethink."

Best,

Zubin