[Reader-list] The Goddess Hingala Of Baluchistan

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 16 19:48:22 IST 2009

Dear VR

Thanks for the additional info.

>From going through Web resources >>>>

Yes, it appears that Hinglaj is supposed to be one of the 51 (various versions also mention 52 and 64) Shakti Peeths where Vishnu scattered the cut up parts of Sati to calm down Shiva who had gone into Tandav mode after Sati immolated herself, unable to bear the insults heaped upon Shiva. Each Shakti Peeth has a particular representation of Shakti and Shiva associated with it

Hinglaj is where the head (brains) is supposed to have landed and so bears special sanctity. (Kotari + Bhimlochan) Apparently Rama is also said to have meditated at Hinglaj to atone for a sin of his.

Amarnath is also listed as one of the 51 Shakti Peeths. The neck (or throat) fell there. (Mahamaya + Trisandhyasvar)

Kamkhya supposedly received the Yoni (genitals) (Kamakhya + Umananda)

Back to Hinglaj, this weblink of an intriguing tablet in ceramics or stone did not get properly registered in my last mail http://offroadpakistan.com/pictures/hingol_2005/untitled.html

What I also found interesting is that the Hinglaj goddess is supposed to be associated with the Bhavsar community, Kshatriyas originating from Saurashtra. But the pics in the weblink provided by Yasir show the Hinglaj Nani Ka Mander being looked after by "Mayavanshi Samaj" who are listed as Scheduled Caste

I also read that the Mahyavanshi were protagonists in the much lauded 1980 film by Ketan Mehta "Bhavni Bhavai"

Kshmendra