[Reader-list] Earth hour: Green stupidity/Romanticist aesthetics

s|s supreet.sethi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 12:39:55 IST 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Ravi Agarwal <ravig64 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Supreet,
>
> While I appreciate your sentiment that one off, and token gestures may
> amount to very little, even they claim to serve a laudable purpose, my
> difficulty may be  different that yours. I think that thinking of mother
> earth and nature as a flat unmediated commodity, without taking into account
> its social and economic politics, leads us to believe that we are only
> consumers of 'nature' and do not have a 'political' relationship with it.
> That we can equally participate in climate change and turn the tide without
> taking responsibility of our differential consumption patterns of energy. I
> thing that like all 'soundbites' this too makes the issue simpler that what
> it is. It seems the only way we can understand things now is like
> 'consumers,' and the enent of turning off electricity is in that approach.
> Meta soundbites!

Its a Meta sound bite backed by WWF. No wonder when I type WWF, google
takes me to World Wrestling Entertainment. Atleast they don't guilt
trip people over unproven 'scientific' facts.

> As an aside,  electricity is not generated and put out to be consumed. An organization claiming
> Generation is also demand dependent, since it 'loads' the generation
> system. In India we are deficient and saving energy actually saves it, since
> it other systems needing energy can draw on it.

I agree but with one caveat. If the deficiencies happens is at the
same time as the surplus. This blitzkrieg of electricity asceticism
does not account.

--
~preet~