[Reader-list] Earth hour: Green stupidity/Romanticist aesthetics

Ravi Agarwal ravig64 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 12:20:14 IST 2009

Dear Supreet,

While I appreciate your sentiment that one off, and token gestures may
amount to very little, even they claim to serve a laudable purpose, my
difficulty may be  different that yours. I think that thinking of mother
earth and nature as a flat unmediated commodity, without taking into account
its social and economic politics, leads us to believe that we are only
consumers of 'nature' and do not have a 'political' relationship with it.
That we can equally participate in climate change and turn the tide without
taking responsibility of our differential consumption patterns of energy. I
thing that like all 'soundbites' this too makes the issue simpler that what
it is. It seems the only way we can understand things now is like
'consumers,' and the enent of turning off electricity is in that approach.
Meta soundbites!

As an aside,  electricity is not generated and put out to be consumed.
Generation is also demand dependent, since it 'loads' the generation
system. In India we are deficient and saving energy actually saves it, since
it other systems needing energy can draw on it.

best
ravi agarwal