[Reader-list] Why do Schools and Colleges in India Kill?

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Sat Apr 18 00:39:37 IST 2009

Dear All,

I find the incidence of deaths due to 'ragging' in educational
institutions in india and the recent death of a young girl, a student
of Class three, Shanno Khan, in a municipal school in Delhi caused by
the corporal punishment meted out to her by her teacher because she
could not tell the meaning of a word in English, totally shocking.

Why is this murderous authoritarianism so prevalent in places of
education in India. Why do students and teachers behave like
executioners and impose so much violence on those weaker or smaller
or younger than them?

What is it about the nature of education and pedagogy in our society
that makes it so conducive to producing little fascists and martinets?

I hope this list can take some time to reflect on this.

best

Shuddha

Shuddhabrata Sengupta
The Sarai Programme at CSDS