[Reader-list] Why do Schools and Colleges in India Kill?

shivam at kafila.org shivam at kafila.org
Sun Apr 19 01:52:42 IST 2009

Dear Shuddha,

I wonder if it is possible to answer your question without resorting
to cliche. But I think the primary reason for this is that we as a
society do not look at schools and colleges as institutions of
learning, or of imparting and sharing knowledge. That is really
secondary. We see these institutions as merely those that give out
degrees, and these institutions must be used for this purpose just as
the gods are appeased for favours. The main function that pedagogical
institutions thus perform is to 'straighten out' the students, to make
'boys out of men', to make them 'ready for the world'. We see these
institutions are perform social functions rather than exclusively
pedagogical functions.

To that extent, violence is to be employed and condoned in performing
such functions. It is not unsual to find parents asking teachers not
to 'spare the rod'. Is this surprising really, in a society where men
regularly beat up their wives and children?

best
shivam