[Reader-list] Can't we shut Reader-List temporarily until polls are over

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Mon Apr 20 04:18:26 IST 2009

Dear Patrice, Dear Francesca,

Nobody is suggesting that the election should not talked about or
discussed on this list. These discussions may well include opinions
expressed by list members that takes sides.

  Some of us are merely requesting other list members not to post or
forward propaganda by political parties. And the moderator has taken
note of that.

Political parties regularly employ 'marketeers' and deploy party
activists to inundate public platforms with their messages and
advertisements at election time. Generally, the more powerful the
party, the deeper its pockets, the more aggressive and clamorous the
marketing exercise. We would like to keep the Reader List safe from
the actions and impulses of these deep pockets.

  As I have said before, we might as well have people advertising
microsoft, coca-cola and the Tata Nano if we acquiesce to the
presence of political advertisements and endorsements. I think that
the health of the list will be severely undermined by this.

If you are curious about the platforms and manifestos of different
parties and candidates in the election, I would suggest googling for
them, that is what I do when I want to follow an American,  Italian,
Spanish or British Election, I do not need native informants to do
that for me, and believe me, even the most obscure of political
parties in India have their modest wikipedia entries. And all Indian
English language newspapers and Television Channels have strong web
presences, so getting a sense of what the candidates and parties are
putting out as their platforms is a cakewalk. Enjoy the exercise.

best

Shuddha

  We are merely t