[Reader-list] Brahminical dominence ?

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Fri Apr 24 04:36:14 IST 2009

Pawan,

Here is my attempt at a straightforward (even if slightly lengthy)
answer to your question.

The prophet known as Muhammad to his followers is reported (according
to the ahadith and seerat-bigoraphical accounts) to have condoned, if
not endorsed the assasination of at least seven satirical poets,
namely, Al Nadr bin al Harith, Uqba bin Abu Muayt, Asma bint Marwan,
Abu Afak, Kab bin al Ashraf, Ibn Sunayna, an anonymous Bedouin, a
singing girl belonging to Abdullah bin Katal.

These are cases that may be seen as being roughly comparable to the
murder of Shambuk for his act of speaking/ reading the vedas, at the
orders of the character called Rama. Both are narratives of acts of
violence consequent upon acts of reading/speaking something deemed
offensive. They may be seen as attacks on the freedom of speech, and
justly so.

Of these seven, reports of the murders of poets and performers,
reliable textual evidence (as in a hadith that is considered to be
reliable in terms of its isnad or  transmission) can be found for
just one, that is for the murder of Kab bin al Ashraf. The others
have numerous problems of exegetical authenticity and verifiability,
so let us stick to what can be said with a certain degree of certainty.

Let us suppose that the man called Kab bin al-Ashraf was indeed
killed for his speech. If that is the case, I would have no
hesitation in saying that the conduct of Muhammad demonstrates
arrogance unbecoming (in this instance) of a prophet committed to a
vision of life based on peace and compassion. I would have no
hesitation in saying that exactly as in Rama's execution of Shambuka,
such an act would be, in my opinion, best described as - stupid,
arrogant and unwise.

However, before jumping to conclusions, let us remember that the
quran speaks in more than one voice with regard to contempt, and
about the efforts by satirical poets to ridicule the prophet with
their utterances. Allah explicitly commands Muhammad to be patient
towards those who speak ill of him. In verse 28 for instance, we hear
the following, and I quote : "When (the righteous) hear vain talk,
they withdraw from it saying: 'Our deeds are for us and yours for
you; peace be on to you. We do not desire the way of the
ignorant'. . .O Prophet (Muhammad), you cannot give guidance to whom
you wish, it is God Who gives guidance to whom He pleases, and He is
quite aware of those who are guided." (28:55-56)

Muslims are also taught the tradition of the woman who would
regularly throw trash on the prophet as he walked down a particular
path.The prophet never responded in kind to the woman's abuse.
Instead, when she one day failed to attack him, he went to her home
to inquire about her condition and good health.

So there are as many reliable accounts of Muhammad's forgiving nature
as there are of his vengeful, aggressive nature. A lot depends on
what you choose to believe.

I am not a believer, so I do not need to make this choice. I am just
as willing to say that if the stories about vengefulness are taken at
their face value, then the conduct of the prophet can best be
described as unbecoming and arrogant, just as arrogant and unwise or
stupid as Rama. If, on the other hand, the stories about compassion,
liberality and forgiveness are to be believed, then, the prophet can
be seen as an exemplar of how a person should deal with hostility.
Whatever be the case, I do not think that the lives and reputations
of interesting and exemplary men and women (and I would count
Muhammad as one such person, even though I am not a believer) are
diminished by the retention of our ability to be critical of them.

As far as I know, Muhammad is not worshipped in the Islamicate
tradition as a deity. He is neither god, nor the son of god. he is
merely god's messenger. His actions are shown to be that of a mortal,
(not divine) being. They are exemplary, but in the end, fallible,
even if he is seen and portrayed as the best of men. He doubts
himself, his followers are reported on occasion as disagreeing with
him. There is debate, disagreement, discussion and dialogue.

As far as I know, the Hindu traditions that encode the worship of
Rama the king of  Ayodhya also deify him. In their eyes, he is god.
And god can do no wrong.  Rama's occasional deviance from justice and
ethics (such as in the case of the slaying of Bali by deception) are
in fact pointed out as instances of divine exception, of the fact
that one cannot judge gods and men by the same ethical criteria.

God is not seen as capable of making mistakes and errors of
judgement. Otherwise he would not be divine. If Rama made mistakes he
could not be divine. If he is divine, he cannot make mistakes.

Since I am not a believer in his divinity. I am free to see that he
makes mistakes. If you are a believer in his divinity, then that
choice is not available to you.

And so, I can see that if Muhammad endorsed the assasination of Kab,
then that was clearly a mistake, an error born of arrogance, maybe
even stupidity. The difference is, In the case of Muhammad, I do not
have to be a hypothetical unbeliever to see this.

In my opinion, It is perfectly possible to be a believing Muslim and
to be critical (notwithstanding what fundamentalists and idiotic
zealots may tell you) of some of Muhammad's actions, just as it is
possible to be appreciative of the vast majority  of them. Muhammad
himself is reported to be admitting to the fact that occasionally he
is in error. This is pointed out to underscore the fact that he is
mortal, not divine. His mortality and his imperfections (arising from
his humanity) are central to the Islamic faith. To deny him his
imperfection would be to attribute divinity to him, and nothing can
be closer to heresy than to attribute divinity to a human being, no
matter how expemplary that human being is or can be.

I hope you have an answer to your question by now.

best

Shuddha