[Reader-list] Slavery and Islam.

Inder Salim indersalim at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 18:25:20 IST 2009

Dear Rajan

since we all break the chain of discussion and suddenly jump to post
afresh, i had to search what i had written earlier, but i saw nothing
obscure, if not poetic, in my latest reflection.
and wondered what you meant that my poems turn into deserts when it
comes it Islam.

Perhaps, i am not communicating, quite possible.

far from being a poet, i feel it is requires a big heart to claim to
be one,  i  never claimed, but yes, i do often end my reflections and
posts with love, and that is what i mean, it must be love with some
urgency of the the understanding of  present, that i believe may
generate some meaning from all these debates. What else, .... what we
finally want from this List even, if not restoration  of
sensibilities, or dissolution of the same, earnestly,

so, your reflection to that, and  rightly appreciated by Shuddha, is
what i meant in my earlier posts also, that how to see the scriptures
as art works, intuitionally   imaginative, or compositions by poets
which you call light houses.   Here, faith comes in, and
inevitability of interpreters who twist, wittingly or unwittingly ,
and  accordingly we have this  'difference' which even gives birth to
the other and our necessity to engage her/him on what is given about
that. That is our present, right. So, there must be myriad ways of
approaches to bring out that embrace between the two. So, if i
emphasize on this imperative, then i must have never said that this
lighthouse has better light than the other ligththouse, They both have
light, or even holding even some darkness withing their opaque
formation of blinding light.  i am perhaps. looking for some cool
light, which is simple and less sophisticated, and that is why i am
lazy not to learn Arabic or Sanskrit.

any way, that is that

i remember, Ghalib, again, which you might like,
Nafsay-Kais ki hay chasmay chirogo sehra, ghar nahain shamah siyah
khanaya laila, na sahi
(  the deep desire of kais,( manjnoon ) is the light and eye of the
deserts, no worry, if the candle has failed to illuminate the dark
chamber of liala, ) a very rough translation.

what i mean, by quoting here, is that the intention of my desire to
spread love amongst all is truly the eye and light of  this desert
like world, my inner  desert like world too, not only the gulf, where
most of the Islam flourished, but the whole humanity which cherished
the thought of that love... which even enhanced Mystic thoughts,

and  yes, we all, including you, as lovers of that human subjectivity,
are  somehow on the receiving end, so what if we fail to communicate
some times, that too is human...

but let us say yes, to love

with love
inder salim